David Wright wants Mets to follow Red Sox model

David Wright looks on from the dugout during David Wright looks on from the dugout during a game against the Kansas City Royals at Citi Field. (Aug. 4, 2013) Photo Credit: Jim McIsaac

advertisement | advertise on newsday

ORLANDO, Fla. -- When David Wright agreed to his massive contract extension last season, he reiterated his belief in the Mets' plan to reverse its fortunes. Nearly a year later, his position remains unchanged, despite general manager Sandy Alderson's assertion that he's unlikely to dole out any $100 million contracts this winter.

The edict effectively puts the market's best free agents out of reach. Nevertheless, Wright believes that the Mets remain in "good position to make some moves," and that he hopes that the team follows a similar model used by the Red Sox.

"Let me preface this by saying that this is my opinion, and not anything that Sandy has told me, or anything that Sandy and I have talked about," Wright told Newsday. "It seemed like it worked for Boston last year. If you can get three or four -- maybe not those marquee free agents -- but three or four guys that are very good, solid, players I think it helps us fill more holes. And ultimately we become a better team because of it."

The Red Sox remade their roster by targeting mid-tier free agents. The moves led to a World Series championship. With roughly $40 million in payroll flexibility, the Mets might turn to a similar plan.

Said Wright: "I think with some of the holes that we have, it's probably better suited -- again this is my opinion -- to fill some of those holes rather than spend all of your allocated budget on one player."

You also may be interested in: