Jose Reyes' season appears to be done.
Latest Mets stories
Jerry Manuel said Friday he is "working on the assumption that he won't be back," a conclusion the Mets' manager said he's reached based on the lack of recent rehab updates regarding Reyes.
"I haven't got a lot of information on where he is at this point," Manuel said.
Sidelined since May 20 with injuries related to his right hamstring, Reyes has played in only 36 games this season, the lowest total of his seven-year career.
Reyes appeared to be closing in on returning to the Mets in late July when he spent his days in Port St. Lucie testing his hamstring in baserunning drills. But his hopes of a return this season ultimately appear to have been dashed when he returned to New York earlier this month reporting discomfort in his right leg.
An MRI at the Hospital for Special Surgery on Aug. 5 showed scar tissue and inflammation behind his right knee, related to the hamstring tendon injury that put him on the disabled list in May.
Manuel added that he does not think Reyes is performing any baseball-related activities, further proof that a comeback this season seems unlikely.
Next season Reyes will enter the final year of his four-year, $23.25-million contract, although the Mets hold an option for the 2011 season at $11 million.
In other disabled-list news regarding Mets players, David Wright, who suffered a concussion when he was hit by a 93-mph fastball a week ago, has been cleared to take part in light aerobic activity, Manuel said.