Woman sues Mets' Santana, alleging sex assault
Mets pitcher Johan Santana declined to comment on a civil suit filed against him by a Florida woman, who accused him of sexual battery in Fort Myers last Oct. 27. The suit was filed Tuesday in Lee County state court by the woman, identified in court papers as Jane Doe, whose accusation was investigated by police last year.
Santana was not available before the Mets game at Citi Field last night. When questioned after Tuesday night's game, he said, "I won't comment. It's a legal matter. The truth will come out. I'm just going to wait and see, but I can't give any further comment at this time.''
The pitcher, who is scheduled to start today, read a statement in June, when the allegations first came to light. It read, in part: "I can tell you that police have investigated these claims last year, and I was never charged with anything, and the case is closed.''
Authorities dropped the case, citing a lack of evidence. The woman, described as an acquaintance of the pitcher, said Santana forcibly had sex with her on a golf course. According to a police report, Santana told police he had sex with her but that it had been consensual.
Mets manager Jerry Manuel was asked Wednesday if it was something about which he needed to talk to Santana or the team.
"No, not at all," Manuel said. "I'm not familiar enough with it, anyway, to comment on it."