MLB key dates this offseason
A calendar of award dates and winners, free agency, owners meetings and more MLB postseason info.
- Who will be golden? Oct. 30: Gold Glove winners
- Who will get a mega-contract this year? Immediately after World Series: Free agency begins
- One more year? 12 days after World Series: Arbitration offers
- Will Trout reel it in? Nov. 12 - Rookie of the Year awards
- First-time managers in the mix Nov. 13: Manager of the Year announced
- Can Verlander go back-to-back? Nov. 14: Cy Young announced
- What will change? Nov. 14-15: Owner & GM meetings
- The great debate Nov. 15: MVP announced
- Essentially a cut day Nov. 30: Non-tender deadline
- Time to sign and deal Dec. 3-6: Winter meetings
- Diamonds in the rough Dec. 6: Rule V draft
- Pitchers and catchers report Mid-February: Spring training
Credit: Newsday/J. Conrad Williams, Jr.
One more year?
Clubs can try to keep their own free agent players either by offering them a multi-year free agent deal or by offering arbitration, a one-year contract at a value to be determined by an impartial party. Players who have been offered arbitration by their club must accept by midnight on the 12th day following the completion of the World Series, otherwise they must negotiate a typical free agent contract if they wish to return.
advertisement | advertise on newsday