Newsday's new all-encompassing baseball blog on the Yankees, Mets, MLB and more from around the sport.
BloggersErik Boland Marc Carig Cody Derespina Nick Klopsis Mark La Monica David Lennon Casey Musarra Anthony Rieber
Stony Brook University to host Superstorm Sandy benefit
The wind and rain of Superstorm Sandy may be long gone, but much of the destruction they brought still remains.
To help with the recovery, former Stony Brook University baseball player and current Miami Marlins pitcher Tom Koehler created a one day baseball camp in two locations -- at Joe Nathan Field at SBU and at Marlins Park in Miami. All proceeds will go to the United Way Hurricane Sandy Recovery Fund.
SBU will host its event on Saturday from noon until 4 p.m., pairing baseball players ages 9-18 with professionals to teach the fundamentals of the game.
The SBU event will feature five professional players:
- Cole Kimball, Washington Nationals reliever
- Erik Arnesen, Triple-A pitcher in the Nationals' system
- Tim Pahuta, Double-A infielder in the Nationals' system
- Patrick Kivlehan, Single-A third baseman in the Seattle Mariners' system and a former standout at Rutgers University
- Matt Duran, Single-A infielder in the Yankees' system
To sign-up for the event click here.