Newsday's new all-encompassing baseball blog on the Yankees, Mets, MLB and more from around the sport.
BloggersErik Boland Marc Carig Cody Derespina Nick Klopsis Mark La Monica David Lennon Casey Musarra Anthony Rieber
Here's Newsday's newest minor league rankings for the Mets organization. All stats are through Friday.
1. NOAH SYNDERGAARD, RHP, Las Vegas 51s (AAA): 5.31 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, 82 K, 23 BBAGE: 21 | DRAFTED: 1st round (2010)After a string of bad starts, “Thor” was excellent on July 6, allowing one earned run in seven innings, walking none and striking out eight.
2. BRANDON NIMMO, CF, Binghamton...Read more »
1. NOAH SYNDERGAARD, RHP, Las Vegas 51s (AAA): 5.70 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, 74 K, 23 BBAGE: 21 | DRAFTED: 1st round (2010)“Thor” has had a rough experience in AAA. His last five starts: 19 innings, 32 hits, 22 earned runs.
2. BRANDON NIMMO, CF, Binghamton Mets (AA): .302 BA, .430 OBP, .444 SLG, 6 HRAGE: 21 | DRAFTED: 1st round (2011)Has a hit in eight of his last 10 games as he adjusts to a recent...Read more »
At first, Mets pitcher Dillon Gee insisted that he’d take his time, for fear that trying to rush back from his strained lat muscle would cause a setback. It’s why he wanted to pitch in at least one game-like situation before being activated from the disabled list.
He thought he’d miss just two starts.
But Gee’s DL stint will likely linger into June after the pitcher said on Tuesday night...Read more »
When Rafael Montero steps on the mound at Citi Field to start Wednesday's Subway Series game for the Mets, he'll be just the sixth player on either team to make his MLB debut during the intra-city contest.
When Chase Whitley debuts as the Yankees starter on Thursday, he'll also join the club.
When Jacob deGrom debuts as the Mets' starter on Thursday, he will, too.
A Mets or Yankees...Read more »
Rafael Montero, one of the top pitching prospects in the Mets organization, makes his major league debut in a start against the Yankees on Wednesday night.
Here's what you can expect to see from the 6-foot righthander:
Montero's calling card is his excellent command. In 390 minor league innings, he's struck out 367 hitters and walked 85 -- a 4.32 strikeout to walk ratio.He's...Read more »
Here’s an alphabetical look at how some of the Mets’ more notable and interesting prospects are faring in the minors (all stats as of the afternoon of April 21):
Vic Black, 25, RHP
One of the last cuts in Mets’ camp this year, his lack of control kicked him off the major league roster. He hasn’t rediscovered it in Triple-A. Has walked seven (also struck out six) in 6.1 IP. Don’t be fooled...Read more »
We’ll provide periodic rankings and updates of the top minor leaguers in the Mets and Yankees farm systems throughout the season. For the purposes of this list, players with significant major league experience (Vic Black, Travis d’Arnaud, etc…) will not be considered. All stats are current as of April 9:
1. NOAH SYNDERGAARD, RHP, Triple-A Las Vegas
The Mets’ top prospect, and one of...Read more »
So far the Mets have had nine players among the organization’s more notable prospects play in spring training games.
Here’s how they’ve fared:
Jacob DeGrom, RHP
deGrom is something of a “lesser” prospect given his age (25) and his late transition to the mound. But he’s made an early impression in camp, striking out six across six scoreless innings in his three games of work. He's...Read more »