Carlos Beltran placed on concussion DL, Yangervis Solarte called up

Carlos Beltran of the Yankees looks on during

Carlos Beltran of the Yankees looks on during batting practice before a game against the Minnesota Twins at Yankee Stadium on Saturday, May 31, 2014. (Credit: Jim McIsaac)

CLEVELAND - The Yankees have placed Carlos Beltran on the concussion disabled list after the outfielder suffered two broken bones in his nose during batting practice when a ball off his bat caromed off the overhead screen and hit him.

In a corresponding move, the Yankees called up Yangervis Solarte, who was sent down to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes Barre a week ago. Solarte will start at third base in the Yankees' series finale against the Indians on Thursday.

"You don't expect that to happen when you're practicing," Beltran said after hitting himself in the face.

Derek Jeter, originally given the day off, was inserted in Beltran's place at DH.

Before Beltran's bad luck, the Yankees already were down an outfielder because Brett Gardner was held out with what he described as a minor "lower abdominal" strain. "I feel pretty confident it's a one-day thing," Gardner said. "I think I'll be fine tomorrow."

Gardner thought he had a "bad stomach bug" four days ago in Minneapolis but instead it was tightness in his abdomen. Then he thought it might be a hernia, but a doctor determined it was not.

"I actually feel a lot better today than I did [Tuesday] night after the game," Gardner said. "I expect to be in the lineup tomorrow.

Outfielder Zoilo Almonte, called up from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre earlier in the day when Masahiro Tanaka was placed on the disabled list, started in left.

-- With Newsday.com

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Baseball videos

advertisement | advertise on newsday