Derek Jeter said he expects to be out of the walking boot on his surgically repaired left ankle within two weeks and anticipates being ready for the start of the 2013 season.
"It's been a long process, it's been six, seven weeks where I haven't been able to move too much, but it's been healing probably just as expected," the Yankees shortstop told Michael Kay on ESPN radio Monday. "We still have a long way to go before the season starts, but I'll be ready."
Latest Yankees stories
Jeter said he expected the worst when he crumpled to the ground trying to field a ball in the 12th inning of the Yankees' loss to the Tigers in Game 1 of the ALCS. That ended his season, and Detroit went on to a four-game sweep.
"I knew that something had happened," Jeter said. "I felt it pop, so I figured it was broken somewhere."
Jeter said he has been inactive since the injury, but added: "When you think about it, every year when the season's over, you take a few weeks off before you start working out. Quite honestly, I'm not behind schedule in anything right now."
He also denied being overweight, as suggested by a picture in a newspaper last week.
"I guess there's a lot of things you can do with a picture," he said. "We were just talking a day or two before then, people were telling me I looked like I lost a lot of weight."
As for Monday's injury news concerning Alex Rodriguez, Jeter sees no reason why the Yankees still can't win big. "Why not? We've never been a team to rely on one particular person. There's no reason why we can't be a great team."