Francisco Cervelli shut down for 2 weeks by Yankees
MINNEAPOLIS - It's as if, GM Brian Cashman said by phone Thursday morning, "our team bus hit a black cat on the way to spring training."
Thursday brought more injury news to the Yankees as Cashman disclosed catcher Francisco Cervelli, out with a broken right hand since April 27, has been shut down for two weeks because of a "stress reaction" in his throwing elbow.
The general manager said Cervelli, who had progressed to the point his rehab where he was catching some of the simulated at-bats taken recently by Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter, had an "old stress fracture" in the elbow that was "acting up."
The Yankees had hoped the 27-year-old Cervelli might make it back to the team in the days leading up to the All-Star break and if not then, shortly afterward.
The Yankees had already been in the market for catching help in advance of the trade deadline and figure to double those efforts in the coming weeks with their latest injury setback.