Jeremy Lin withdraws from U.S. Select Team
Jeremy Lin is expected to play for the Knicks next season, but he won't be playing for the U.S. Select Team this week. He withdrew from the team that practices against the Olympic squad Monday because of his uncertain future.
It appears that Lin, a restricted free agent, might not be signed by the time Olympic training camp begins Friday morning in Las Vegas. The Knicks have said they plan to re-sign Lin or match any offers for him, but they might not make any moves at point guard until they know where they stand with Steve Nash.
"Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to participate in the 2012 USA Men's Select Team this summer," Lin said in a statement. "It was such an incredible honor to be selected, but I have withdrawn my name from the team because of my status as a free agent.
"I hope to have the opportunity to participate with USA Basketball at some point in the future."
The Knicks were looking forward to Lin developing and improving this summer by practicing against the NBA's top stars.
Lin averaged 18.2 points and 7.7 assists in 25 starts for the Knicks last season but still is mostly unproven. He also missed the last month of the season and playoffs after requiring knee surgery.The Knicks would love to sign Nash, keep Lin and have him play with and learn from the two-time MVP. But the Raptors, who like the Knicks met with Nash on Sunday, already have made Nash a three-year, $36-million offer. The Mavericks, Suns and Nets could be in play for Nash's services, too.
If Nash doesn't pick Toronto, it's believed the Raptors will pursue Lin and maybe offer a heavily back-loaded contract. But the Knicks plan to match offers for Lin.