Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez All Access Episode 3 recap
Last week, Leonard Ellerbe said that his fighter, Floyd Mayweather Jr., and his camp never asked for Canelo Alvarez to fight at a catchweight of 152 pounds. This week, Alvarez said that was a lie, that it was Team Mayweather who wanted the fight at 152. We'll probably never know who is telling the truth, but that's boxing.
It's one week until Mayweather and Alvarez meet in the ring. Here's more from Showtime's All Access, episode 3:
Best Spoken Line, Floyd Mayweather: "I don't take no fighter serious. All of them is a joke to me. It's damn near 20 years and they don't have a game plan yet. It's obvious there is no game plan."
Best Spoken Line, Canelo Alvarez: "On September 14, I'm going to shock the world." Muhammad Ali said it first, but it remains a boxing classic.
The scenic view: The time lapse at Big Bear. Very cool.
Training Days: Canelo on the heavybag, with the natural light spilling into the gym. Nicely shot.
Best supporting cast: It's Canelo's trainer, Eddy Reynoso's turn this week. He got his chance to fire back at Ellerbe.
* Floyd, "I don't have to sell this fight, it speaks for itself." Very true. It's a good fight for the sport of boxing.
* Oscar de la Hoya: "I know what Floyd Mayweather doesn't want to hear. In boxing, no one stays undefeated. He's not 25 any more. He's not 30 any more. He's 37 years old." Also very true.
* Nice work by the producers to pit Mayweather against de la Hoya again. Floyd said Oscar is jealous and that he's a phony and Oscar says he wants Floyd to lose. It was these two fighters who kicked off this entire genre back on HBO before they fought in 2007. Floyd vs. Oscar is still good television.
* That was a very long time that Mayweather had his eyes off the road while driving the Bugatti.
* Nice scene of Canelo face-timing with his daughter.
* Adrien Broner's cameo was funny, but he's trying to position himself as the next Floyd Mayweather. He still has a way to go, both in and out of the ring.
* Floyd Mayweather's fiance has been noticeably absent. If the Internet rumors of their breakup is true, that probably explains why Mayweather took the opportunity in this episode to give some air time to all the women The Money Team employees. Each one of them talked on camera about the lavish gifts he provides for them. Again, if the rumors are true, the segment comes off as Mayweather exercising his control as Executive Producer to send a personal message to Shantel Jackson.