Mayweather vs. Guerrero: Showtime All Access Episode 4
The fight between Floyd Mawyeather Jr. and Robert Guerrero is Saturday, May 4, on Showtime pay-per-view. The fighters are clearly sharp. But so too was Showtime. From a cinematic and writing standpoint, this episode was the best of the series thus far.
Best spoken line, Floyd Mayweather Jr.: "It always feels good to go anywhere in a country and see your face on billboards."
Best spoken line, Floyd Mayweather Jr., part two: "Of course you don't know his name. I barely know his name either. So you are not going to know his name either." This came during a priceless sequence with a little kid at his gym who was having trouble pronouncing Guerrero's name.
Best spoken line, Robert Guerrero: "Every fighter who has fought me says they are the Ghost Buster and they end up getting busted."
Best spoken line, Robert Guerrero, part two: "He has the opportunity to inspire so many people, instead he turned a lot of them off."
Best written line: "In just 17 years, his reach has gone from 72 inches, to worldwide." Very nice Brian Arndt.
Best supporting cast: Ishe Smith. He's been around a long time. Now he's a world champion. Nice story.
The scenic view: Great camera work on the T-shirts being printed. Of course, the bikinis that followed weren't bad either.
Training Days: Guerreo's evening training session.
* Revenue to Las Vegas for the upcoming fight is expected to surpass $100 million.
* A small thing, but really liked the opening shot of the Mayweather Gym - from the vantage point of the sign. We've seen that gym a million times, never thought we could have seen it from a different angle. But we did.
*Also, loved the camera in the shopping cart. Really creative camera work in this episode.
* Impressive that it was a week out and Floyd was basically on weight.
* How did Floyd know Guerrero was struggling with weight? Is he seeing All Access footage? He is getting an executive producer credit after each show.
*Kelly Swanson cameo!
* Floyd tells young fighters that the only way to get to the top is a lot of sex, a lot of junk food, a lot of partying and that you've got to go to them strip clubs. Based on "All Access" and "24/7", we've seen Floyd do all of that, except for the sex. So it must be good advice. However, what he left out was that you need to be born with incredible natural talent and when you get to the gym, you need to work harder than everyone else on the planet.
* Incredible contrast between the home life of Mayweather and Guerrero. Loved seeing the Guerrero kids climb into a limo and see their father's billboard. Also, very touching to see Casey Guerrero getting emotional.
*Ruben Guerrero "crosses out" a picture of Mayweather's cut man. Turnabout is fair play.