Saul “Canelo” Alvarez is vacating his title in an effort to clear the way for the match boxing fans have been waiting for.

In a statement released Wednesday, Alvarez said he’s instructed his promoter, Golden Boy Promotions, to continue pursing a fight against Gennady “GGG” Golovkin. In the meantime, he will be vacating his WBC middleweight title, removing a previously set scheduling deadline of next Tuesday.

“For the entirety of my career, I have taken the fights that no one wanted because I fear no man,” Alvarez said in the statement. “Never has that been more true than today. I will fight ‘GGG,’ and I will beat ‘GGG’ but I will not be forced into the ring by artificial deadlines.

“I am hopeful that by putting aside this ticking clock, the two teams can now negotiate this fight, and ‘GGG’ and I can get in the ring as soon as possible and give the fans the fight they want to see.”

Golden Boy Chairman and CEO Oscar de la Hoya also released the following statement:

“There is no denying that Canelo is the biggest star in the sport of boxing. He is eager to get in the ring with ‘GGG’ to show the world that he is also the best pound for pound fighter in the sport, but we won’t negotiate under a forced deadline.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

“Now that the WBC title is off the table, I am hopeful that ‘GGG’ and his promoter K2 Promotions will come to the table in good faith and get this deal done.”

Alvarez is 47-1-1 in his career with the only loss coming against Floyd Mayweather in 2013. He is still the Ring magazine and lineal middleweight champion and previously held the WBA middleweight and WBC light middleweight titles. He last fought on May 7, knocking out Amir Khan in the sixth round.

Golovkin is an undefeated 35-0 and holds the WBA, IBF and IBO middleweight championships. He last fought against Dominic Wade in April, winning via knockout in the second round.