Join Robert Cassidy with ringside seats in the world of Boxing.
Berto and Ortiz ready for round 2
After an outstanding fight last year, Andre Berto and Victor Ortiz will be back at it again on June 23 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.
The scheduled 12-round welterweight bout will air on Showtime.
The first time the two met, Ortiz scored a unanimous-decision win. It wasn’t easy as both fighters hit the canvas twice. Ortiz was deducted a point for hitting behind the head. Don’t expect either fighter to give any quarter the second time around.
“I told him I’m going to beat you again and he told me I got lucky. He tried to bring Floyd [Mayweather Jr.] in, but I told him to keep this between me and him,” said Ortiz. “Floyd doesn’t have anything to do with us. I beat him (Berto) last time and I’ll beat him again.”
The fight was pushed back due an injured biceps muscle suffered by Berto during his training camp. Ortiz (29-3) believes the extra time, in addition to what he learned in the first fight, will help him to another victory over Berto.
“The slugfests keep boxing alive. It keeps fans coming back and I expect another one in June,” Ortiz added. “I didn’t want to wait, but the postponement gave me time to prepare a little bit more.”
As for Berto (28-1), it’s a rematch that he desperately wanted.
“I didn’t have to take this fight. I vacated the title to make this happen,” he said. “This fight is for the fans. The last one was tremendous and this one is going to be even better.”
Berto’s loss to Ortiz at the Foxwoods Resort in Connecticut may have cost him a shot at Floyd Mayweather. He recovered from the loss several months later and stopped Jan Zaveck.
“I came back from the Ortiz fight hungry, got a world title and gave it up to beat Ortiz,” said Berto. “This is the most important fight of my career.”