The Neutral Corner
Join Robert Cassidy with ringside seats in the world of Boxing.
1. Floyd Mayweather Jr., welterweight (45-0): Is there really any reason to even explain why Mayweather is No. 1 in the world? After taking apart the sport’s top young fighter in Canelo Alvarez, Mayweather, 36, proved he still has it. His next bout is scheduled for May. Amir Khan is rumored to be the opponent.
2. Andre Ward, super middleweight (27-0): Ward returned to the ring in November...Read more »
Of all the fights that have happened the last couple of months and those that will occur over before 2014 begins, the Andre Ward-Edwin Rodriguez bout might just be the most overlooked.
Ward, prior to a shoulder injury that has kept him out action for 14 months, was arguably, pound-for-pound, the best in the world. But as is usually the case in boxing, a long layoff can lead to a demotion in...Read more »
1. Floyd Mayweather Jr., welterweight (44-0): Floyd is back in the top spot. Truth be told, it was an easy decision since Andre Ward has been inactive for so long. His win over Robert Guerrero on Cinco de Mayo proved he still has it. His September 14 bout against Canelo Alvarez is more proof that Mayweather is finally ready to put everything on the line.
2. Canelo Alvarez, junior middleweight...Read more »
The Neutral Corner presents its fight wish list for 2013.
Floyd Mayweather (40-0) vs. Anyone: We want to see Mayweather fight anyone at this point. We know the “Money” man is very particular about who he fights and when, but its time he starts to justify why fans need to wait forever between fights. Manny Pacquiao, Canelo Alvarez and Tim Bradley are just a few of the several fighters we’d...Read more »
Andre Ward doesn’t plan on letting a shoulder injury stop his progress up boxing’s ladder.
The WBA and WBC super middleweight champion had to back out of a fight against Kelly Pavlik which was originally scheduled for January 26, but moved to March because of Ward’s injury.
Now the fight has been canceled with no talk of a future date.
Said Ward: “When I first got injured, there...Read more »
There has been a change at the top. Andre Ward takes over the top spot in the Neutral Corner Top 10 pound-for-pound list. Floyd Mayweather Jr. fans won’t like it, but Ward has been active and he’s beaten most of the top 168-pound fighters in the world and the best light heavyweight. Can’t deny Ward the top spot this time.
1. Andre Ward, super middleweight, (26-0): Ward has beaten Mikkel Kessler,...Read more »
Saturday could be a big day for boxing as Chad Dawson squares off against Andre Ward in a much-anticipated 168-pound bout at the Oracle Arena in Oakland live on HBO’s Championship Boxing.
Just how important is this fight to Dawson? Dawson (31-1, 17 KOs) dropped down from light heavyweight to super middle weight to take the fight against Ward (25-0, 13 KOs). He also is fighting...Read more »