PHILADELPHIA - The situation was desperate. A five-goal lead had disappeared early in the fourth quarter and Maryland was in trouble. Someone had to save the Terrapins. It was a task for Rambo.

Matt Rambo, a sophomore from nearby Glenside, Pennsylvania, scored two goals in 95 seconds and Maryland held off stubborn Johns Hopkins, 12-11, on Saturday in the second NCAA Division I men's lacrosse semifinal at Lincoln Financial Field.

"I didn't have any memories about high school. I was just focusing on the next play and trying to make a new memory here at Maryland," said Rambo, who had four goals and two assists. Sixth-seeded Maryland (15-3) will face fourth-seeded Denver on Monday. Unseeded Johns Hopkins finished 11-7 despite four goals by John Crawley of Port Washington.

Hopkins coach Dave Pietramala, a Hicksville native who was a star at St. Mary's (Manhasset), believed Rambo had some additional motivation. "I'm not surprised that Matt Rambo was more assertive coming home and playing in a Final Four," Pietramala said.

After Jay Carlson (three goals, one assist) scored his second unassisted goal midway through the third quarter to give Maryland a 10-5 lead, Crawley took over. The sophomore, who played both attack and midfield, scored twice in 39 seconds to make it 10-7 and then made it 10-9 with an unassisted goal with 12:44 left in the fourth. Ryan Brown, whose 61 goals is a school record, completed the Blue Jays' comeback a minute later with an unassisted goal.

That's when Rambo began his mission. He made a gorgeous spin move to break the tie with 9:59 left and stepped into a pass from Bryan Cole for a blast that made it 12-10. "My teammates were creating opportunities for me to get open off the crease," Rambo said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

He cited, among others, Joe LoCascio (Lindenhurst, St. Anthony's) who had two assists. "I was just finding spots."

He lifted the Terrapins out of a tough spot. "When they got to 10-10, we needed to be able to weather that storm," Maryland coach John Tillman said. "Matt's goal was a big play. It calmed us down."

It was Rambo to the rescue.