Jasmine Dixon's lay-up with 1.2 seconds left lifted No. 14 UCLA to a 53-52 overtime victory over St. John's on Sunday in the championship game of the St. John's Holiday Classic.

Trailing by one, Markel Walker inbounded the ball to Dixon for the wide-open basket. Shenneika Smith's 60-foot fling was short at the buzzer.

Nadirah McKenith had given the Red Storm (5-4) a 52-51 lead with a lay-in with 25 seconds left.

After a timeout, UCLA's Alyssia Brewer caught the ball in the block and forced a shot up with 2.5 seconds left. It missed and went out of bounds off the Red Storm giving UCLA a final chance.

Brewer led UCLA (7-1) with 14 points and 15 rebounds and earned MVP honors of the tournament.

Shenneika Smith scored a season-high 25 points for St. John's.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

UCLA trailed 45-43 with 21 seconds left in regulation when Brewer made a nifty pass from the post to Dixon for an easy lay-in to tie the game. St. John's had a chance to win in regulation but Smith's 3-pointer from the wing was off the rim.

The game looked like it was headed for a blowout at the start.

UCLA built a 22-6 advantage as the Red Storm missed 19 of their first 21 shots. The Bruins were getting contributions from everywhere. It could have been a bigger lead, but St. John's was able to play solid defense despite struggling on offense.

Atonye Nyingifa's lay-in with 5:39 left in the half was the Bruins last points before the break. St. John's closed the half on an 11-0 run sparked by Smith.

She got the burst started with a 3-pointer and had seven points during the run. UCLA missed its last 10 shots of the half.

St. John's continued its run in the second half. After UCLA took a 26-19 advantage on Nirra Fields' jumper with 18:24 left in the game, the Red Storm scored 13 of the next 15 points. Handford had seven points during the run. Smith's lay-in with 12:58 remaining gave St. John's its first lead of the game.

Fields finally ended UCLA's 8-minute drought without a basket, banking in a 3-pointer from the wing that brought the Bruins within 32-31.

Neither team could build much of a lead over the final 10 minutes of regulation.

After a successful trip to New York, UCLA returns home to finish off the month with three non-conference games before beginning Pac-12 play after the New Year. Besides playing the two games, the Bruins made the most of their time in the city. They took in a Broadway show, saw the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center and visited ground zero.

The Red Storm, sporting new black uniforms, are still trying to get in a rhythm after losing senior guard Eugeneia McPherson to a season-ending ACL injury to her right knee two weeks ago. She was at the game after having surgery on the knee on Wednesday.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Saint Mary's took third place in the tournament, beating Tennessee Tech 73-58.