Bob Glauber's NFL mock draft
Bob Glauber's 2013 NFL mock draft
Order Team Player Comments
1. Chiefs ERIC FISHER, T, Central Michigan Chiefs also thinking defensive line, but tough to pass on a tackle in a deep draft of blue-chip linemen. Late buzz has Fisher with a slight edge over Luke Joeckel.
2. Jaguars LUKE JOECKEL, OT, Texas A&M Jags also like BYU’s Ziggy Ansah, but Joeckel also addresses a need and is as close to a sure thing as there is.
3. Raiders DION JORDAN, OLB, Oregon Raiders love Jordan’s speed off the edge. Also could go defensive line with Sharrif Floyd or Ansah.
4. Eagles LANE JOHNSON, T, Oklahoma First draft for rookie head coach Chip Kelly, who loves his fast-paced offense. But he has two thirtysomething tackles, and Johnson is an elite prospect.
5. Lions DEE MILLINER, CB, Alabama Lions need to address chronic weakness in secondary, and Milliner, despite shoulder problems, is the best of the cornerback group.
6. Browns GENO SMITH, QB, West Virginia Browns not sold on last year’s first-round pick, Brandon Weeden, so they take a gamble that Smith can thrive under new offensive-minded coach Rob Chudzinski and offensive coordinator Norv Turner.
7. Cardinals CHANCE WARMACK, G, Alabama Cardinals can use help at tackle, too, but Warmack is one of the best guard prospects to come along in years.
8. Bills EZEKIAL "ZIGGY" ANSAH, DE, BYU Has only played football just three years, but his incredible athleticism has scouts thinking he can overcome that inexperience the way Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul has done.
9. Jets JONATHAN COOPER, G, UNC Not quite the splashy pick for first-year GM John Idzik, but Jets really like Cooper. They also like Warmack. Addresses need after Jets don’t re-sign Brandon Moore and whiff on Vlad Ducasse. If Rex Ryan has his way, it’ll be Barkevious Mingo here.
10. Titans STAR LOTULELEI, DT, Utah Plenty of needs for the Titans, but if Lotulelei is there, tough to resist the versatile tackle, who can dominate against the run and rush the passer as well.
11. Chargers SHARRIF FLOYD, DT, Florida Can play the 3 technique with a quick first step. Chargers also need offensive line help, but with all the top prospects gone, Floyd is a good choice here.
12. Dolphins XAVIER RHODES, CB, Florida Dolphins couldn’t re-sign T Jake Long and might trade for Branden Albert. They like Kenny Vaccaro, but maybe not this high. Rhodes could replace Vontae Davis, who was traded to the Colts last year.
13. Jets TAVON AUSTIN, WR, West Virginia Jets might look to move down and collect extra picks, and a tight end – possibly Tyler Eifert or Travis Kelce – is a possibility lower down. But Austin’s play-making ability tough to resist.
14. Panthers SHELDON RICHARDSON, DT, Missouri Solid prospect here along the line, Richardson addresses need for depth from a Panthers’ defense that has struggled against the run.
15. Saints BARKEVIOUS MINGO, OLB, LSU Some scouts think Mingo is too light to be effective. But it’s tough for Saints to resist the chance on a pass rush prospect for their woeful defense.
16. Rams JARVIS JONES, OLB, Georgia Jones has raised some red flags because of a spinal stenosis condition, but he’ll go high in this draft nonetheless. Rams love Austin, but if he’s off the board, they can address receiver lower down.
17. Steelers TYLER EIFERT, TE, Notre Dame Heath Miller showing some wear and tear, so Eifert, a good receiving tight end, is on Pittsburgh’s radar.
18. Cowboys KENNY VACCARO, S, Texas Dallas could go with D.J. Fluker to address offensive line issues, but Vaccaro is a playmaking safety who can help the Cowboys’ inconsistent defense.
19. Giants D.J. FLUKER, T, Alabama Giants can plug Fluker in at right tackle from Day 1 ... if he lasts this long.
20. Bears ALEC OGLETREE, LB, Georgia Bears need a replacement for departed middle linebacker Brian Urlacher.
21. Bengals MATT ELAM, S, Florida Bengals in a rare spot where they don’t have all that many needs. Improving an already decent pass defense with Elam is a good way to go.
22. Rams ROBERT WOODS, WR, USC With Austin off the board, Rams can go with Woods, who can offer Sam Bradford a good target, especially after St. Louis lost Danny Amendola to the Patriots.
23. Vikings MANTI TE’O, LB, Notre Dame GM Rick Spielman likes Te’o, off-field issues and all. Vikings can use a strong inside presence.
24. Colts DATONE JONES, DE, UCLA Robert Mathis is getting older and Dwight Freeney is gone. Time to replenish the defensive line in Indy.
25. Vikings DeANDRE HOPKINS, WR, Clemson Vikes love Tavon Austin as a replacement for Percy Harvin, who was traded to the Seahawks. But if they can’t deal up for Austin, Hopkins a solid alternative.
26. Packers JONATHAN CYPRIEN, S, FIU Would fit right in after the departure of Charles Woodson.
27. Texans TANK CARRADINE, DT, Florida State Texans need a receiver to complement Andre Johnson, but the value here is with the defensive line.
28. Broncos BJOERN WERNER, DE, Florida State Werner would have the luxury of joining an already formidable defense.
29. Patriots DESMOND TRUFANT, CB, Washington ats can go defensive line here, too, but Trufant could be a longer-term solution after the Pats were only able to re-sign CB Aqib Talib to a one-year deal.
30. Falcons DAMONTRE MOORE, DE, Texas A & M Falcons parted ways with John Abraham and signed Osi Umenyiora, but they still need a youth movement along the line.
31. 49ers SYLVESTER WILLIAMS, DT, UNC 49ers’ defense suffered dropoff after DT Justin Smith went down with triceps injury late in season. Williams can join the rotation and provide depth.
32. Ravens D.J. HAYDEN, CB, Houston Ravens have holes at inside linebacker, but they also value corners, and Hayden is the best one left.