PHOENIX, Ariz. -- Extra points are not going away.

"Nobody has made that proposal," said Rich McKay, president of the Falcons and chairman of the NFL's Competition Committee at the league meetings on Monday. "And I think last year we kind of said in the room that that wasn't the solution we were looking for."

advertisement | advertise on newsday

There could, however, be a change to what constitutes an extra point.

"This year you have the proposal from New England, which is to move it back to the 15-yard line, snap it there and go," McKay said. "You have last year, Pittsburgh's coach [Mike] Tomlin pushing the idea of what about if we put the ball at the 1-yard line and therefore incentivize teams to go for two more often.

"I'll be interested to see [Tuesday] where this discussion leads us. We've been down this path before where we will have this discussion for a number of years. You never know what will happen."

Just because there are proposals, of course, does not mean they will be accepted. McKay noted that the issue of extra points has been percolating for several years and that there have been experiments in the preseason and in the Pro Bowl, but so far, no rules have been changed.

"Whether a proposal will have enough to get 24 votes [for a 75-percent majority], that is not an easy thing to do," he said. "There are some of us who were on the committee for a long time and we really thought the two-point play at no time had a chance to ever pass. Now it seems like we've had the two-point play for a long time. Sometimes it takes some time and we will see what [Tuesday] brings."