The Giants do not know if Jason Pierre-Paul will be ready for the regular-season opener after a fireworks accident Saturday in South Florida injured the defensive end's hands, according to a league source.
When asked Monday about Pierre-Paul's status for Week 1, the source said, "No idea."
Latest Giants stories
The Giants are scheduled to report to training camp July 30 and open the season Sept. 13 against the Cowboys in Dallas.
The Giants have not pulled their $60-million, long-term contract offer to Pierre-Paul, according to the source. NFL Media reported earlier Monday that the Giants already had taken away the offer.
Pierre-Paul does not have a contract for the upcoming season and has yet to sign his $14.8-million franchise tender offer, which would be a guaranteed salary for 2015. The Giants can rescind the franchise tag, which would make him an unrestricted free agent. That scenario, however, seems unlikely.
The Giants also can place Pierre-Paul on the non-football injury (NFI) list after he signs his tender or a contract, in which case the team retains his contractual rights. The Giants would not be obligated to pay him until he comes off NFI.
"Just don't know the extent of the injury yet, so nothing has been determined," another league source said.
Pierre-Paul has until the July 15 deadline to negotiate a long-term deal with the Giants, but that doesn't appear to be possible after the accident.
A source said Pierre-Paul still has all of his fingers.
ESPN.com reported he still was hospitalized Monday with injuries to both hands. The report said he has severe burns on the palm of one hand and on the tips of three fingers. One finger is being checked for nerve damage, according to the report. ESPN.com also reported that Pierre-Paul's injuries do not appear to be career-threatening.
Multiple Twitter users, some claiming to live near Pierre-Paul, posted messages and pictures on Saturday of a U-Haul truck full of fireworks, which they said belonged to him.
Pierre-Paul, 26, comes off his best statistical season since 2011. He had 121/2 sacks and three forced fumbles last year.
With Laura Albanese and Tom Rock