Jason Pierre-Paul is ready to be on his own.
Entering his fourth season, the defensive end admitted he is still a long way from reaching his potential but insisted that he no longer needs to be treated like a kid. "There's no baby-sitting nobody this year," he said Tuesday night. "I'm not playing the baby-sitting game and I know what I have to do to help my team get into the playoffs."
Pierre-Paul, speaking at an event at Umberto's in New Hyde Park, where Justin Tuck received a check for $15,000 for his RUSH for Literacy foundation, also said that his sack total for 2013 is "unlimited."
Coming off a year in which he had just 6.5 sacks, 10 fewer than his Pro Bowl season in 2011, Pierre-Paul continues to insist that he did not play poorly in 2012. He also disagreed with Tom Coughlin's assessment from earlier this offseason that he played overweight.
"I was a major factor on the defense and I was putting pressure on the quarterbacks 24/7," he said. "I think I played very good last year."
Tuck said he noticed that his fellow defensive end had slimmed some. "It looks like he ran a little bit," Tuck said. "Just the first two days of running and working and lifting [at voluntary team workouts], he looks primed to have another great year for us and we are going to need him because he is a big part of our success."
Said Pierre-Paul, "People would look and say Jason Pierre-Paul is one of the good players in the NFL right now, but right now, I think I can do better. I can do better, and if that's consistently training even harder, then I'm going to do that. But they haven't seen nothing yet, trust me. When I say they haven't seen nothing, they haven't seen nothing yet."