Giants top 10 top-fives for training camp
With Giants players reporting to training camp on Monday, here are the top 10 top 5 lists for the team.
5 position battles to watch(Credit: Jim McIsaac )
1. FULLBACK: Henry Hynoski vs. John Conner: Both have been starters for the Giants and both have played well. It could come down to who fits Ben McAdoo’s offensive system better.
2. DEFENSIVE TACKLE: Johnathan Hankins vs. Markus Kuhn
3. BACKUP QUARTERBACK: Ryan Nassib vs. Curtis Painter
4. CENTER: J.D. Walton vs. Weston Richburg
5. KICKER: Josh Brown vs. Brandon McManus.
5 players who need a rebound year(Credit: Getty)
1. Eli Manning: The Giants need a lot of things to go right if they want to make the playoffs in 2014, but they aren’t going anywhere No. 10 doesn’t take them.
2. Jason Pierre-Paul
3. Will Beatty
4. Mathias Kiwanuka
5. David Wilson
5 second-year players who need to step up(Credit: Getty)
1. DaMontre Moore: The Giants need "DaMonster" to play up to his potential and help the pass rush after a disappointing rookie year in which he seldom got on the field.
2. DT Johnathan Hankins
3. G Eric Herman
4. DB Charles James
5. RB Michael Cox
5 who performed well in 2013 and need to keep it that way(Credit: Jim McIsaac)
1. Antrel Rolle: He was the team’s MVP both on and off the field during a difficult season.
2. WR Victor Cruz
3. T Justin Pugh
4. CB Prince Amukamara
5. DT Cullen Jenkins
5 most important new Giants(Credit: Kathleen Malone-Van Dyke)
1. Jameel McClain: His role this summer is now much more significant as he moves to middle linebacker with the loss of Jon Beason for most of training camp.
2. RB Rashad Jennings
3. CB Dominique-Rodgers Cromartie
4. CB Walter Thurmond
5. G Geoff Schwartz
5 draft picks who will make an impact
1. Weston Richburg: The second-round draft choice will be competing at two spots on the offensive line and could wind up starting at either center or guard depending on how the rest of the line shakes out.
2. Odell Beckham Jr.
4. Nat Behre
5. Andre Williams
5 undrafted rookies who could make the team
1. Dan Fox: The linebacker from Notre Dame looked good in the offseason workouts and with not much depth at the position he should get reps throughout camp.
2. TE Xavier Grimble
3. WR Corey Washington
4. K Brandon McManus
5. DT Kelcy Quarles
5 candidates for the wide-open tight end job(Credit: Kathleen Malone-Van Dyke)
1. Adrien Robinson: It’s time for the 2012 draft pick to start living up to the hype. Getting his first NFL reception would be a start.
2. Kellen Davis
3. Larry Donnell
4. Daniel Fells
5. Xavier Grimble
5 possibilities to replace Chris Snee at right guard(Credit: James Escher)
1. Brandon Mosley: He took most of the snaps there in the spring, is big and strong and comes from a major college program. The Giants like him a lot.
2. John Jerry
3. Weston Richburg
4. Eric Herman
5. Justin Pugh
5 preseason dates to circle(Credit: Kathleen Malone-Van Dyke)
1. Aug. 3: The Giants open the preseason with the Hall of Fame Game against the Bills, the first chance we’ll get to see Ben McAdoo’s new offense and so many of the new players in an actual game setting.
2. Aug. 12: The first media availability for McAdoo.
3. Aug. 30: Teams must cut rosters to 53 players by 6 p.m.
4. Aug. 22: Giants vs. Jets in the all-important third (albeit fourth) preseason game.
5. Aug. 2: Giants players get to watch Michael Strahan inducted into the Hall of Fame.