Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul severely injured his hand in a July 4 fireworks accident in South Florida, according to multiple media reports -- this, as his future with the team is in limbo.
The Giants said late Sunday afternoon that they still had not gathered all the facts after Andy Slater, host of WINZ in Miami, first reported the incident. The extent of the injury has not been confirmed and Pierre-Paul was conferring with doctors Sunday night, according to ESPN, which also reported that he had burns on one hand and was being checked for nerve damage. The injury does not appear to be career-threatening, according to ESPN.
The league confirmed the injury Sunday afternoon via NFL.com.
On Saturday, multiple Twitter users, some claiming to live near Pierre-Paul, posted messages and pictures of a U-Haul truck full of fireworks, which they said belonged to the Giant.
Pierre-Paul's injury puts him in a particularly precarious situation because his future with the Giants was not guaranteed and he does not have a contract for next season. Pierre-Paul, 26, had yet to sign his $14.8-million franchise tender since he has until the July 15 deadline to negotiate the long-term deal that he was hoping for.
The two-time Pro Bowler had 12 1/2 sacks and three forced fumbles last year.