Justin Tuck surprised by cuts, but trusts Giants' front office
Justin Tuck said he was "surprised, a little'' by the three veteran cuts the Giants executed last week, but ultimately he has faith in the front office.
"Those guys have done a great job over the years of building a team that can be successful and I don't see why we can't trust in the fact that they know what they're doing up there,'' Tuck said Tuesday night at The Founders Dinner at Cirpiani on Wall Street. "Those decisions aren't easy decisions. I'm sure Jerry [Reese] and everybody up there had some tough times and some tough conversations about them. But they felt as though they needed to happen and they went forward with it.''
Last week the Giants parted ways with linebacker Michael Boley, defensive tackle Chris Canty and running back Ahmad Bradshaw -- three key contributors to the 2011 championship team. They also shaved nearly $14 million against the salary cap by making those moves.
"You're always surprised when you lose some guys who have been very integral in what we've done over the years,'' Tuck said. "It is surprising but you also understand the business side of it. At times like this you wish those guys wouldn't have been part of it, but it happened and hopefully -- there are some people who speculate we may have a chance of getting some of them back later on -- but either way you just wish them wherever they end up success and hope that they continue with their great careers.''
Tuck said he has not been approached by the team about his contract. He has one year remaining on his deal and is due a base salary of $4.5 million in 2013. Tuck said he does not know who will be the next Giant to be cut or be asked to take a pay cut. It could be him. Whoever it is, it likely will come as another surprise "a little.''
"From what I understand [about the business], things are going to happen and when they do you just have to be ready for it or try your best to adjust to it," Tuck said. "I think we all are like that.''