Adewale Ojomo with a sack against the 'Boys? He wouldn't be surprised
The Giants are big fans of the confidence that Adewale Ojomo showed in the preseason.
“I love his attitude, the way he went out and worked, and he has a lot of confidence in himself,” defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said of the undrafted rookie defensive end. “(He says) 'Hey, I did it last week. I could do it this week,' and I’m kind of looking, saying to myself, 'Yeah, right.' And he goes out and he does it and I’m going like ‘Holy smokes!’”
Ojomo said he’ll need even more confidence now that he’s made the 53-man roster and will no longer be playing against second and third-string offensive linemen.
“Right now you’re going against some of the best athletes in the world,” Ojomo said. “These left tackles that they have, they pay them a lot of money to protect the quarterback so now I have to take my game up to the next level in order to have the same success I had in the preseason going against twos and threes.”
When he spoke on Monday, Ojomo wasn’t sure if he would dress for the game against the Cowboys
“I’m on the 53-man roster, but I have to see if I make that 46,” he said of the gameday active list. “I’m waiting for word right now from the coaches so I’m just staying mentally prepared and physically prepared for when my number is called.”
Ojomo had 4.0 sacks in the preseason. That was the most on the Giants and only two players had more in the exhibition games (The Jets’ Quinton Coples and Thomas Keiser of the Panthers each had 4.5). Now that the regular season starts, though, everyone is back to zero. Ojomo doesn’t want to be there for long, and his confidence tells him he won’t.
“It would mean a lot to me,” he said of the possibility of a regular-season sack in the opener against the Cowboys, “but I wouldn’t be surprised.”