Tyler Sash suspended; yet another hit to secondary
The Giants’ secondary took another hit today, this time with the suspension of safety Tyler Sash for the first four games of the season. In a statement, the NFL said Sash violated the league’s policy on performance enhancing substances. He’ll be eligible to participate in all of the preseason, but once the regular season starts he will not be eligible until Monday, October 1, following the team’s September 30 game against the Philadelphia Eagles.
Sash issued his own statement, saying that he took the prescription drug Adderall for anxiety during the offseason and he didn’t realize was banned by the NFL.
“Although I take full responsibility for this situation, I also want to state that I have never cheated or taken performance-enhancing drugs, and I frown on those who do,” Sash said. “I am highly disappointed by the league's decision in this matter, but I will continue to do my best on and off the field. From this point on, I will be more conscientious about every single thing I put in my body.”
(You can read Sash's full statement here.)
Sash is the second Giants player to receive a four-game suspension since they won the Super Bowl in February. Andre Brown received a similar four-game hit for violating the policy on performance enhancing drugs, but his suspension was later rescinded. Brown was taking Adderall as well, he claimed, but forgot to file the proper paperwork with the league.
The suspension could mean a swift return to the Giants by veteran safety Deon Grant. With CB Terrell Thomas’ knee injury possibly costing him a second straight season and Sash unavailable for the first four games, the Giants’ secondary will be thinned. Last week general manager Jerry Reese said he would keep the door open on Grant’s possible return. Earlier this summer Grant had told his hometown newspaper in Georgia that he expected to return to the Giants at some point.