Newsday's Bob Glauber goes the extra yard for the inside scoop on the NFL.
Several Giants undergo surgery
Indianapolis - Giants coach Tom Coughlin briefed reporters on the status of several injured players, including the following:
* Chris Canty, DT. Had knee surgery, although Coughlin didn't specifiy what was repaired. The coach said it was not arthroscopic surgery, but wouldn't elaborate beyond that. Said it appears Canty would be ready to start the season, although offered no assurances.
* Travis Beckum, TE. Suffered a torn ACL in the Super Bowl. Underwent surgery on Monday. Minimum recovery time is seven months. Coughlin said he expects Beckum back sometime next season.
* Jake Ballard, TE. Also suffered a torn ACL in the Super Bowl, and also underwent surgery on Monday. Minimum recovery time also seven months, and Coughlin expects him back at some point in 2012.
* Justin Tuck, DE. Had shoulder surgery to clean out scar tissue. Coughlin said Tuck feels much better already.
* Linval Joseph, DT. Had ankle surgery. Coughlin did not seem to think recovery would take much time. Expects him to be ready for mini-camp.