In his first press conference of the week, Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer elaborated Thursday on his decision to turn down the Buffalo head coaching job.

“I’m flattered. I really was,” Schottenheimer told the media. “I have a lot of respect for (team owner) Mr. (Ralph) Wilson, respect for the Bills organization. (General manager) Buddy Nix is obviously a friend of mine, having worked together.

“It’s not about the Buffalo Bills. It’s about the New York Jets and how I feel about the organization, the way I see the direction of the team going under Rex (Ryan). The fact that Woody (Johnson) and Mike (Tannenbaum) stuck by me last year. All that stuff is stuff I took into consideration and at the end of the day, I felt really good about the decision.”

The Bills asked for and received permission early this week from the Jets to speak with Schottenheimer.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

But the 36-year-old, who has interviewed for several other head coaching jobs over tha past few years, including with the Jets last year, declined the offer.

“If anybody understands how hard it is to get a head coaching job, it’s me,” said Schottenheimer, the son of retired head coach Marty Schottenheimer. “ ... But as I told you guys a couple weeks, the biggest thing for me is the fact that I’m happy.”