New York Jets news, commentary and insider info from beat writer Kimberley A. Martin.
Tannenbaum left 'detailed' salary-cap plan for Jets
What salary cap issue?
According to Mike Tannenbaum, “there’s no question” the Jets can rebound from being $19.4 million over the cap.
During a media tour in New Orleans – which began with an ESPNNewYork.com interview, followed by a Tuesday spot on WFAN with Mike Francesa – Tannenbaum denied his former team is in “salary cap hell” on The Michael Kay Show.
Asked if he put the Jets in a “bad situation,” Tannenbaum replied: “Not at all. I was the assistant GM for five years, I was the Pro Personnel Director before that, I do have a law degree, I did a lot of contracts, obviously. So I paid my dues going up through the ranks and I’m proud of the drafts we’ve stacked, one after the other.
“As it relates to the cap plan, you’ll see in the next couple of weeks how it’s going to play out. There’s a plan there. John Idzik’s a smart, capable guy. I’m sure he’s going to tweak it. But there’s a plan this year and for years moving forward.”
Tannenbaum reiterated that he left “a very detailed plan” plan in place with members of his front office before his dismissal.
“There’s a lot of bright, capable people there that have worked on the cap,” Tannenbaum said. “I’ve known John for years, I’m sure he’s going to take the plan that was created there and tweak it the way he sees fit. But there’s a plan not only for this February, and I’d be happy to go on with you guys in a couple of weeks and we can say, ‘Look, here’s the plan. Here’s what happened.’ And if we’re sitting here a year from now, there’s going to be a good plan in place that, again, is going to change and evolve, but the foundation is there for years to come.”
Idzik said in his introductory press conference last week that the Jets’ bloated salary cap was not “a hindrance” in his decision to take the job.