New York Jets news, commentary and insider info from beat writer Kimberley A. Martin.
Coples to wear No. 98
Quinton Coples disclosed on WFAN radio Wednesday that he will wear No. 98.
The Jets first-round draft pick -- who already has developed a reputation of not being much of a talker -- was posed the same questions about his occasional lack of effort during college and his position preference on the defensive line.
...And Coples pretty much gave the same answers he’s given us the past week.
Here’s a quick rundown in case you didn’t get to hear the interview:
- Coples confirmed he does not have a Twitter account. (So now you guys can stop following @QueCoples LOL)
- As for where he prefers to play -- outside on the end or inside as a tackle, Coples said he doesn’t care. The North Carolina product, who was forced to move from end to tackle in college, said he’s willing to play anywhere on the D-line.
- Coples said head coach Rex Ryan promised him during his pre-draft visit that the Jets would select him if he still was available at No. 16. Though Coples wasn’t entirely sure on draft day, he believed Ryan “was a man of his word.”
- Coples doesn’t think his style of play mimics any particularly player in the league; rather there are “spurts” here and there that resemble different guys. The first-rounder also is confident the Jets coaching staff and D-lineman will help convert him into one of the most elite pass rushers in the league
- Lastly, Coples said the toughest adjustment will be acclimating to the speed of the NFL and improving his technique. “Everyone’s a technician in this league,” he said.