Latest news and conversation around the news from Westchester, Rockland and the Hudson Valley.
BloggersSarah Armaghan Nik Bonopartis John Dyer Meghan E. Murphy Timothy O'Connor Matt Sartwell Kenneth Schachter Jillian Sederholm Christian Wade Thomas Zambito Ryan Chatelain Mae Cheng Karl de Vries Nirmal Mitra
Weather, Wizard of Oz among Top 5 stories for Friday, March 8
1) The Hudson Valley's reward for enduring one more day of lousy weather? A gorgeous weekend and an extra hour of sunlight. After Friday's expected soggy weather caps off a week of rain and snow, temperatures are expected to reach 50 degrees on Saturday and Sunday, just as daylight saving time goes into effect.
2) The much-hyped Wizard of Oz origin story, "Oz The Great and Powerful," opens Friday in theaters. Despite lukewarm reviews from critics and unfavorable comparisons to the original 1939 classic, the new film has enjoyed considerable buzz. Planning on seeing it Friday? Grab your tickets early.
3) Yorktown Supervisor Michael Grace and Assemb. Steve Katz -- a Mohegan Lake Republican who represents parts of Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess counties -- will join with other local leaders at a news conference Friday afternoon to criticize Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's NY SAFE Act. Cuomo pushed the legislation after the shootings in Newtown, Conn., but opponents say the governor has gone too far and the law makes felons out of law-abiding gun owners.
4) Rob Astorino plugs Hudson Valley Restaurant Week. The Rockland County executive is slated to appear with restaurant week founder Janet Crawshaw at Morgan's Fish House in Rye on Friday. Astorino and Crawshaw will shuck oysters while promoting Hudson Valley Restaurant Week, which begins Monday and involves more than 100 local restaurants.
5) Picasso prints and Warhol renderings are among the art on display this weekend in Manhattan during Armory Week. The festivities kicked off Wednesday, but most visitors are expected to descend on Pier 92 and 94 this weekend to browse art from more than 200 exhibitors.