Long Island's top 25 pitchers for 2013
Related media2013 baseball players to watch Long Island in the pros: MLB edition College commitments High school baseball blogs
Counting down the top 25 pitchers in Long Island high school baseball heading into the 2013 season:
25. Brendan Spagnuolo, Chaminade, P, Jr.: Hasn't thrown a varsity pitch before this season. Should make a splash this year. Hard-thrower with 88-91 mph fastball. Verbal commitment to Vanderbilt.
24. Greg Egan, St. John the Baptist, RHP, Sr.: A three-year starter with a three-pitch repertoire, which includes a quality changeup and curveball. Committed to Quinnipiac.
23. Adam Heidenfelder, MacArthur, RHP, Jr.: A 6-foot-4, 240-pounder with a fastball in the 85-87 range and two quality off-speed pitches. Averages 17 Ks per nine innings.
22. Louis Negrelli, Whitman, LHP, Sr.: Hard-throwing lefty from the slot with an 86-88 mph fastball and natural movement. Had a 1.43 ERA with 59 strikeouts in 43 innings.
21. Keven Pimentel, Shoreham-Wading River, RHP, Jr.: He moved back to Long Island after two years in the Dominican Republic. A Division I prospect with 88-91 mph fastball.
20. Cody McPartland, Miller Place, RHP, Sr.: Suffolk League VI MVP with an 8-1 record and a 1.51 ERA. He's a big-game pitcher with an 83-85 mph fastball.
19. Brian Tinney, St. Anthony's, RHP, Sr.: He had a 6-2 record with a 2.10 ERA. Mixes a 12-to-6 curveball with 83-84 mph fastball, can be unhittable at the high school level. Committed to Post.
18. Chris Cepeda, Ward Melville, RHP, Jr.: Transferred from Comsewogue and brings a nasty slider and 81-83 mph fastball with movement. Had a 1.45 ERA and four wins as a sophomore.
17. Frank Moscatiello, Rocky Point, RHP, Jr.: Power pitcher at 5-foot-8, who throws 84-86 mph with a nasty curveball. Had a 4-1 record and 1.55 ERA. Averages a strikeout an inning.
16. Brian McKean, Connetquot, RHP, Sr.: Led Thunderbirds to Suffolk Class AA crown with 8-2 record and 64 strikeouts in 52 innings. Throws 85-87 mph fastball with sweet curveball.
15. Kieran Ryan, St. Dominic, RHP, Sr.: Staff ace with a 1.80 ERA. Command and mix of four pitches. Committed to Hofstra.
14. Dan Caniano, Chaminade, RHP, Sr.: Hard-throwing righty with 36 strikeouts in 27 innings and 2.87 ERA. Throws 86-88 mph fastball. Committed to Army.
13. Matt Weissheier, Kellenberg, RHP, Sr.: Location and command of three pitches, including 84-86 mph fastball, makes him tough to hit. Committed to Hofstra.
12. Luke Stampfl, Half Hollow Hills West, RHP, Sr.: Overpowering with 87-89 mph fastball and could be used as a closer. Committed to Fordham.
11. Cody Olsen, Commack, RHP, Sr.: Power pitcher, 86-89 mph, before an injury sidelined him. Comeback year for him. Committed to Connecticut.
10. Stephen Woods, Half Hollow Hills East, RHP, Sr.: Budding star. Throws 88-90 mph with nasty knuckleball. Was 2-2 with 55 strikeouts in 30 innings. Committed to Albany.
9. Aaron Floyd, Longwood, RHP, Jr.: Diamond in the rough. Smooth delivery, great arm action clocked at 91 mph in Perfect Game nationals. Verbally committed to Stony Brook.
8. Greg Weissert, Bay Shore, RHP, Sr.: Very competitive with a 5-1 record. 66 strikeouts and 1.22 ERA. Throws vicious changeup with 83-85 mph fastball. Committed to Fordham.
7. Joe Guercio, Kings Park, RHP, Sr.: Has 15-2 career record and throws all four pitches for strikes. Composure an asset with 83-85 mph fastball. Committed to Stony Brook.
6. Pat Bryant, Center Moriches, RHP, Jr.: The 6-foot-4, 195-pounder had a 5-2 record with 52 strikeouts in 41 innings. Mixes three solid pitches, 86-88 mph fastball. Verbally committed to Louisville.
5. Andruw Gazzola, Longwood, RHP, Jr.: The 6-foot-2, 195-pounder relies on a devastating curveball and 89-91 mph fastball. Verbally committed to Stony Brook.
4. Bryce Keller, Port Washington, RHP, Sr.: Diamond Award finalist had 81 strikeouts in 37 innings. Power pitcher with 89-92 mph fastball. Committed to Princeton.
3. Matt Crohan, Riverhead, LHP, Sr.: Struck out 43 in 27 innings and posted a 3-1 record with a 1.70 ERA. Earned Team USA under-17 spot. Throws wicked curveball with 87-89 mph fastball. Committed to Winthrop.
2. Matt Vogel, Patchogue-Medford, RHP, Sr.: Highest sought-after recruit the past three years. Struck out 43 in 23 innings as junior. MLB slider, throws 90-92 mph fastball. Committed to South Carolina.
1. Anthony Kay, Ward Melville, LHP, Sr.: Earned Gibson Award as Suffolk's top pitcher. Allowed no earned runs in 53 innings. Tremendous movement, three-pitch mix, with 90-92 fastball. Highly-regarded MLB prospect. Committed to Connecticut.