All sports, all schools, one blog.
BloggersLaura Albanese Ian Cutler Mike Gavin Stephen Haynes Bob Herzog Jordan Lauterbach Gene Morris Will Sammon Amy Streifer Jason Stromberg
Football semifinals: How you voted
All postseason long, we've asked you to pick who you think will advance in each high school football playoff game.
Now that we know for sure which teams will live to see another week, here's how you fared in picking last week's slate of games. Below are the results after Monday afternoon, with how the voting shook out as well as the final score of each game.
Some quick hits from the voting data:
- In all, readers went 9-11 this week for a 45% winning percentage. It was a dramatic falloff from last week, when readers went 25-6 and had an 80.6% winning percentage. This puts the overall playoff winning percentage of readers at 66.6% (34-17).
- A slew of upsets hit readers hard. Of the 11 misses, nine came when a lower seed upended a higher seed. Those nine lower seeds: Plainedge, Sachem East, Floyd, North Babylon, Westhampton, Wantagh, Valley Stream North, Roosevelt and St. John the Baptist.
- On the flip side, readers thought that there would be upsets by fifth-seeded Massapequa (over top-seeded Farmingdale) and eighth-seeded West Babylon (over second-seeded Riverhead). However, neither team was able to continue their Cinderella postseason, as the higher seeds won in both instances.
- The lone upset that readers picked correctly was (3) Baldwin's 67-27 win over Oceanside.
- Readers had the most confidence in Lawrence, picking them over Valley Stream South 245-23. By percentage, Lawrence collected a staggering 91.4% of the total vote, and the 82.8% differential between the two teams is the highest so far this postseason.
|GAME||HIGHER SEED VOTES||LOWER SEED VOTES||ACTUAL RESULT|
|(1) Farmingdale vs. (5) Massapequa||322||417||(1) Farmingdale, 12-9|
|(2) Oceanside vs. (3) Baldwin||276||329||(3) Baldwin, 67-27|
|(1) Lawrence vs. (4) Valley Stream South||245||23||(1) Lawrence, 62-7|
|(2) Glen Cove vs. (3) Plainedge||331||123||(3) Plainedge, 34-27|
|(1) Connetquot vs. (6) Sachem East||147||62||(6) Sachem East, 33-28|
|(2) Sachem North vs. (4) Floyd||103||95||(4) Floyd, 32-7|
|(2) Riverhead vs. (8) West Babylon||136||159||(2) Riverhead, 30-14|
|(3) East Islip vs. (5) North Babylon||122||55||(5) North Babylon, 52-41|
|(2) Miller Place vs. (3) Westhampton||116||38||(3) Westhampton, 19-14|
|(1) Sayville vs. (4) Huntington||136||32||(1) Sayville, 41-14|
|(2) Mt. Sinai vs. (3) Shoreham-Wading River||100||54||(2) Mt. Sinai, 21-0|
|(1) Babylon vs. (5) Mercy||136||17||(1) Babylon, 49-12|
|(2) MacArthur vs. (3) Wantagh||92||55||(3) Wantagh, 14-13|
|(1) Garden City vs, (4) Carey||106||60||(1) Garden City, 22-18|
|(1) Seaford vs. (4) Valley Stream North||107||24||(4) Valley Stream North, 21-17|
|(2) West Hempstead vs. (3) Roosevelt||67||53||(3) Roosevelt, 45-16|
|(1) St. Anthony's vs. (8) Monsignor Farrell||140||16||(1) St. Anthony's, 42-0|
|(3) Chaminade vs. (6) Holy Cross||126||19||(3) Chaminade, 21-0|
|(4) Kellenberg vs. (5) St. Francis Prep||80||64||(4) Kellenberg, 42-41|
|(3) Holy Trinity vs. (6) St. John the Baptist||56||52||(6) St. John the Baptist, 52-6|
As always, stay tuned later this week for the chance to vote on each of the county championships and the CHSFL semifinals.