All sports, all schools, one blog.
BloggersLaura Albanese Ian Cutler Mike Gavin Stephen Haynes Bob Herzog Jordan Lauterbach Gene Morris Will Sammon Amy Streifer Jason Stromberg
Long Island girls hoops Top 10 rankings
1. Long Island Lutheran (17-4): Boogie Brozoski had 21 points and five assists and Katie Lavelle had 16 points, five rebounds and three steals in a 60-55 win over Bishop Loughlin last Friday to extend the Crusaders’ winning streak to 11 straight. That streak was snapped Monday in a 54-50 loss to Murry Bergtraum.
2. St. Mary's (18-3): The Gaels clinched first place in the CHSAA by beating St. Anthony’s for a second time this season, 57-52 last Wednesday. Jordan Agustus had 13 points and 15 rebounds to lead the way.
3. St. Anthony's (15-5): The Friars bounced back after falling to St. Mary’s with a 51-31 win over Our Lady of Mercy, last Friday. Rebecca Musgrove scored 11 points and Chastity Taylor had six points and 10 rebounds
4. Harborfields (17-1): Harborfields earned a bye as the top seed in the Suffolk class A playoffs and will face No. 5 Islip, Tuesday with a trip to the county finals on the line.
5. Massapequa (14-0): The Chiefs were also idle this week as they earned the first overall seed and a bye in the Nassau class AA playoffs. Massapequa plays No. 9 Freeport, Tuesday in the quarterfinals.
6. Sachem East (16-2): Katie Doherty scored 15 points with four rebounds and five assists last Thursday as Sachem East advanced to the quarterfinals in the Suffolk class AA playoffs with a 61-31 win over Brentwood. Sachem East plays Riverhead for a trip to the semis, Wednesday.
7. Whitman (15-2): Essence Casey scored 24 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in an opening round playoff win over Floyd, 76-54. Whitman plays Bellport in the Suffolk class AA quarterfinals, Wednesday.
8. North Shore (16-1): North Shore isn’t slowing down any time soon, as the top seed in Nassau class A beat Hewlett 82-35 in the opening round of the playoffs. North Shore plays South Side in the quarterfinals, Wednesday.
9. St. John the Baptist (11-10): Close wins over Kellenberg last Friday and Holy Trinity last Tuesday put SJB back over .500 and earned the Cougars their third consecutive win. Lauren Williams had 19 points, six rebounds and four steals in the 58-47 win over Kellenberg.
10. Southampton (13-3): Southampton will play for the Suffolk class B championship, Tuesday against Center Moriches.