All sports, all schools, one blog.
BloggersLaura Albanese Mike Gavin Stephen Haynes Bob Herzog Jordan Lauterbach Gene Morris Will Sammon Amy Streifer Jason Stromberg
Long Island girls hoops Top 10 rankings
1. Long Island Lutheran (19-4): Staci Barrett had 15 points and five boards on senior night last Friday to lead Lutheran over Mary Louis in the team’s regular -eason finale. Lutheran will compete in the Class A Federation Championships starting March 22. The well-rounded Barrett also performed a beautiful rendition of the Star Spangled Banner before Friday’s win.
2. St. Mary's (20-3): The Gaels completed a perfect league season in the CHSAA with a 68-42 win over Holy Trinity on Thursday. Mei-Lyn Bautista, Danielle Waithe and McKayla Hernandez all scored in double figures.
3. St. Anthony's (19-5): Charise Wilson had 17 points and Rebecca Musgrove added 11 points to lead St. Anthony's in its regular season finale, a 71-44 win over St. Dominic’s on Friday.
4. Harborfields (19-1): Bridgit Ryan had 19 points and 15 rebounds to lead top-seeded Harborfields over No. 3 Glenn, 49-36, in the Suffolk Class A final.
5. Massapequa (16-0): Morgan Roessler scored 17 of her 19 points in the first half, including the games first 12 points, and added five steals to lead Massapequa over Freeport, 75-43, in a Nassau AA quarterfinal game Feb. 19. The Chiefs play MacArthur in a Nassau AA semifinal on Wednesday.
6. Sachem East (18-2): Allie Drake had 11 points, 11 rebounds and five steals, and Sammy Drake added six points, 10 rebounds and five steals for Sachem East in a 38-23 win over Whitman in a Suffolk AA semifinal. Sachem East will play North Babylon for the Sufolk AA title on Tuesday.
7. North Babylon (20-1): Brittany Hicks scored 17 points, including the game-winning three with 21 seconds left in overtime, as North Babylon edged Commack, 47-45, in a Suffolk AA semifinal. Makeda Nicholas had her third straight triple-double with 15 points, 15 rebounds and 10 blocks for the Bulldogs.
8. North Shore (18-1): North Shore advanced to the Nassau A semifinals with a 44-33 win over South Side on Feb. 20. North Shore will play Floral Park on Tuesday.
9. St. John the Baptist (13-10): Sydney Zambrotta, Lauren Williams and Italee Brown-Smikle each scored seven points during a 27-12 third quarter for St. John the Baptist in a 61-39 win over Our Lady of Mercy to wrap up the regular season.
10. Southampton (14-3): Rashelle Baker had 12 points and Sydney Katz had 10 to lead Southampton 36-10 over Stony Brook in the Suffolk BC final.