All sports, all schools, one blog.
BloggersLaura Albanese Mike Gavin Stephen Haynes Bob Herzog Jordan Lauterbach Gene Morris Will Sammon Amy Streifer Jason Stromberg
Long Island Top 10 girls hoops rankings
Who’s No. 1? That’s a tough answer this week. A strong case could be made for three teams, especially after they each have beaten each other. Neither St. Anthony’s, St. Mary’s or Long Island Lutheran have a bad loss. Each has played good teams. The team playing best right now is St. Mary’s. The Gaels have won six of seven and the loss on Sunday to Long Island Lutheran makes the No. 1 selection debatable. It’s not a bad loss and St. Mary’s defeated St. Anthony’s on Friday, 52-44. Both games were on the road and the win over St. Anthony’s is significant since it ended the Friars’ 36-game winning streak in league play that includes the postseason. LuHi had lost three straight before the win Sunday and St. Anthony’s did not play well against St. Mary’s and struggled in a win against Kellenberg.
1. St. Mary’s (8-3): The Gaels ended the 36-game league winning streak of St. Anthony’s with a 52-44 win on Friday. Jordan Augustus had 17 points, nine rebounds, five blocked shots and four steals and Mei-Lyn Bautista had 11 points, seven assists and four steals for St. Mary's. The Gaels followed it up with a 49-44 loss to Long Island Lutheran. Jasmine Bryant led the way with 17 points.
2. St. Anthony’s (8-4): The Friars opened the week with a 47-38 win over Kellenberg as Rebecca Musgrove had 14 points and five steals. The Friars then had their 36-game league winning streak that includes the postseason come to an end in a 52-44 loss to St. Mary’s.
3. Long Island Lutheran (7-3): The Crusaders broke a three-game losing streak with a 49-44 win over St. Mary’s. Boogie Brozoski scored 12 of her 19 points in a 20-8 fourth quarter in the win.
4. Sachem East (7-1): Allie Drake had seven points, seven steals and six rebounds in a 52-27 win over Patchogue-Medford. Katie Doherty had 18 points and Kathleen Evernson added 17 points in a 60-50 win over Longwood. The Flaming Arrows play at Commack on Friday. They rallied to win the first matchup, 41-38.
5. St. John the Baptist (6-7): 5: Lauren Parra had eight points, 17 rebounds and five steals, Sydney Zambrotta had 15 points, seven steals and two assists in a 53-25 win over St. Dominic. Lauren Williams had 23 points and eight steals and Lauren Parra had eight points and 18 rebounds in a 73-44 win over Holy Trinity.
6. Harborfields (10-1): Bridgit Ryan had 18 points and 10 rebounds and Allie Tunick added 11 points in a 56-54 win over Kings Park. Ryan had 19 points, 10 rebounds, seven assists, six steal and four blocks and Amy Luxenberg had 11 points, five assists and five steals in a 66-40 win over Islip.
7. Baldwin (6-2): Baldwin defeated Plainview JFK, 65-25.
8. Northport (9-1): Kristin Cleary scored 18 points and Lizzy Atkinson added 14 points in a 73-14 win over Central Islip. Cleary had 15 points in a 65-23 win over Connetquot.
9. Massapequa (9-0): Lauren Van Buren had 13 points and 15 rebounds and junior Rachel Sieber had a career-high 16 points in a 58-28 win over Freeport.
10. North Shore (9-1): Alexandra Cantwell had 13 points, 12 rebounds, 11 assists and 10 steals in a 74-45 win over Lynbrook and Erin Sheerin had 13 points, 12 rebounds and four assists in a 70-58 win over Lawrence.