All sports, all schools, one blog.
BloggersLaura Albanese Mike Gavin Stephen Haynes Bob Herzog Jordan Lauterbach Gene Morris Will Sammon Amy Streifer Jason Stromberg
Long Island Top 10 girls hoops rankings
1. Long Island Lutheran (16-3): Boogie Brozoski had 27 points, five assists and two steals in a 61-50 win over nationally-ranked Shabazz of Newark at the Mecca Tournament at the Gauchos Gym in the Bronx last Sunday. The win over sixth-ranked Shabazz extends the Crusaders’ winning streak to 10.
2. St. Mary's (16-3): Alyssa James had 10 points and seven rebounds while Jasmine Bryant added eight points and five rebounds in a 55-38 win over St. Dominic last Tuessday. St. Mary’s and St. Anthony’s will battle for CHSAA supremacy, Wednesday.
3. St. Anthony's (14-4): The Friars blew out Holy Trinity, 60-32, last Tuesday, jumping out to a 27-2 lead after the first quarter.
4. Harborfields (17-1): Kristen Kelly had 13 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks, and Bridgit Ryan added 11 points, 11 rebounds, seven assists and five blocks as Harborfields clinched the League V title with a 59-43 win over Kings Park last Tuesday. The Tornadoes wrapped up a perfect league season by beating Rocky Point 83-16 last Thursday.
5. Massapequa (14-0): Danielle Doherty had 16 points and Morgan Roessler had 15 points as the Chiefs completed a perfect regular season to clinch Conference AA-I in a 62-31 win over Farmingdale last Tuesday.
6. Sachem East (14-2): Katie Doherty had 18 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals in Sachem East’s 58-52 win over Longwood last Tuesday, while the team added a 47-34 victory over Brentwood last Thursday.
7. Whitman (14-2): Essence Casey scored all 14 of her points in the first half to lead Whitman over Central Islip 69-26 last Tuesday.
8. North Shore (15-1): North Shore’s offense continued to roll this week in an 80-48 win over Valley Stream South last Tuesday. North Shore clinched Nassau Conference A-III.
9. St. John the Baptist (9-10): Senior Lauren Parra had a career-high 28 rebounds with six points and five assists as the Cougars bounced back from a three-game skid with a 58-50 win over Sacred Heart last Sunday. SJB plays Holy Trinity and Kellenberg this week in two pivotal games that could determine playoff seeding.
10. Southampton (13-3): Noel Hodges had 20 points, seven rebounds and four assists and Kesi Goree added 15 points and six rebounds in a 64-48 win over Mattituck last Thursday, as Southampton completed its second consecutive undefeated season in League VII with an 11-0 record.