All sports, all schools, one blog.
BloggersLaura Albanese Ian Cutler Mike Gavin Stephen Haynes Bob Herzog Jordan Lauterbach Gene Morris Will Sammon Amy Streifer Jason Stromberg
Hauppauge star Justin Plaschka headlines the Long Island contingent in the boys swimming state championships this weekend at Webster-Schroeder High School in Webster, NY.
Plaschka is among the contenders in the 100-yard butterfly, along with Dan Mo of Great Neck South and Zachary Towers of St. Anthony’s. Plaschka also will compete in the 100 freestyle.
Huntington sophomore Gunther Cassell...Read more »
Kris Moran of North Babylon will look to defend his 3200-meter title on Saturday in the state championship track meet at Cornell University. Moran finished in nine minutes, 8.57 seconds last year.
Garden City’s Emma Gallagher will be defending her title in the 600. Her 1:30.35 at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational on Feb. 1 was the top time in the country. Gallagher will also be part...Read more »
Rebecca Gotterbarn set the L.I. girls record for average with a 223.5 in leading Sewanhaka District to a second straight Nassau bowling title and the Indians will be among four Long Island teams seeking a state championship Saturday at Strike N’ Spare Lanes in Syracuse.
Melissa Sherwin, who set the Suffolk record with a 223.2, leads Middle Country, which took second in its first appearance...Read more »
1. St. Anthony's (19-5) 2. Harborfields (19-1) 3. Sachem East (18-2) 4. North Babylon (20-1) 5. St. John the Baptist (13-10) 6. Commack (16-3) 7. Whitman (16-3) 8. Southampton (16-3) 9. Hauppauge (15-6) 10. Copiague (14-4)...Read more »
1. Long Island Lutheran (19-4): Staci Barrett had 15 points and five boards on senior night last Friday to lead Lutheran over Mary Louis in the team’s regular -eason finale. Lutheran will compete in the Class A Federation Championships starting March 22. The well-rounded Barrett also performed a beautiful rendition of the Star Spangled Banner before Friday’s win.
2. St. Mary's (20-3): The...Read more »
1. Long Island Lutheran (19-4)
2. St. Mary's (20-3)
3. Massapequa (16-0)
4. North Shore (18-1)
5. MacArthur (13-3)
6. Farmingdale (16-3)
7. Uniondale (14-4)
8. Baldwin (11-4)
9. Mepham (15-3)
10. Herricks (15-4)...Read more »
34 Suffolk wrestlers will attempt to reach the pinnacle of high school wrestling in New York State this weekend as they grapple at the public school state championships in Albany.
Suffolk County is home to Long Island’s only two returning state champions in sophomore Nick Piccinnini of Ward Melville and senior Mark West of Hauppauge. The 113-pound Piccinnini was a state champion at 106 pounds...Read more »
25 wrestlers from Nassau and nine more from the CHSAA will be competing for a chance to be called the best in the state this weekend at the Times Union Center in Albany.
Two wrestlers from Nassau County who have previously placed at the state tournament will be competing in 2013: Dan McDevitt of Wantagh and Robert Person of Bellmore JFK. McDevitt finished fifth at 138 pounds last year and...Read more »
1. Long Island Lutheran (17-4) 2. St. Mary's (18-3) 3. Massapequa (14-0) 4. North Shore (16-1) 5. Baldwin (11-3) 6. Mepham (14-2) 7. MacArthur (13-3) 8. Farmingdale (15-3) 9. Uniondale (13-4) 10. Herricks (15-3)...Read more »
1. Long Island Lutheran (17-4): Boogie Brozoski had 21 points and five assists and Katie Lavelle had 16 points, five rebounds and three steals in a 60-55 win over Bishop Loughlin last Friday to extend the Crusaders’ winning streak to 11 straight. That streak was snapped Monday in a 54-50 loss to Murry Bergtraum. 2. St. Mary's (18-3): The Gaels clinched first place in the CHSAA by beating...Read more »