Newsday runs a full-court press on Long Island high school boys basketball.
Nassau Top 10 teams
It was a light week in terms of games last week because of exams and not much changed in these rankings. The biggest move is Chaminade up two after beating Holy Cross on Sunday.
1. Long Island Lutheran (12-5): The Crusaders dropped two games at the SNY Invitational, losing big to Cardozo, 74-32, and a close one to Boys and Girls, 65-62, in the consolation game of the tournament. The loss to Boys and Girls was Lutheran’s second against them this year. But Lutheran is still No. 1 here based on strength of schedule.
2. St. Mary’s (13-5, 6-1 CHSAA): Beat Kellenberg, 67-51, and then defeated Archbishop Molloy by 23 points behind 22 points from Chauvaughn Lewis at the John Salvo Classic at Adelphi on Sunday.
3. Baldwin (12-2, 7-2 AA-I): The Bruins were idle last week. They get started again Tuesday against Farmingdale.
4. Uniondale (12-3, 9-1 Conference AA-I): The Knights beat Carey, 55-44 with three players with double-digit scoring.
5. Elmont (12-1, 5-1 Conference ABC-I): Stayed atop the tight ABC-I conference race with a 66-33 win over West Hempstead.
6. Westbury (10-4, 5-2 ABC-I): Got a big win against South Side, 65-64 in overtime, to jump into a tie for second in ABC-II. They have West Hempstead, Floral Park and Hewlett left on the regular season schedule.
7. South Side (10-4, 5-2 ABC-I): The loss to Westbury moved the Cyclones out of a first-place tie in ABC-I. A win Friday at Elmont could move them back into a tie.
8. Chaminade (10-6, 4-4 CHSAA): Beat Kellenberg, 55-53 and took down Holy Cross, 60-50 on Sunday at Adelphi. Tom Morgan had 17 points in that win.
9. Oceanside (12-2, 9-1 AA-II): The Sailors held off Long Beach, 55-52. Gene Garay scored 19 of his 21 points in the second half and Greg Gilbert broke a tie with a three-pointer with three minutes left and Oceanside led the rest of the way.
10. Holy Trinity (7-9, 3-4 CHSAA): The Titans fell to St. Anthony’s, 71-62, in the competitive CHSAA.
On the bubble: Hicksville (12-3, 8-2 AA-II), Manhasset (9-4, 5-2 ABC-II), Lawrence Woodmere Academy (18-1), Jericho (10-4, 4-3 ABC-II), Farmingdale (8-7, 5-6 AA-I) Hempstead (9-6, 5-5 AA-I), Malverne (7-5, 5-2 ABC-II).