Newsday runs a full-court press on Long Island high school boys basketball.
Nassau Top 10 teams
We're getting close to playoff season. The public schools finish up the regular season this week and the postseason beings Thursday and Friday. The CHSAA still has another full week of regular season to go and Long Island Lutheran has a couple of games left in February. Here are the rankings...
1. Long Island Lutheran (13-6): The Crusaders went 1-1 this week, losing to St. Raymond, 68-64 and defeating Albany Academy, 71-63. Achraf Yacoubou averaged 26.5 points in the two games. LuHi is still without injured guard Mike Florin (ankle).
2. St. Mary’s (15-6, 7-2 CHSAA): Chauvaughn Lewis scored 23 points in a 70-52 win over St. Dominic on Friday.
3. Baldwin (14-2, 9-2 AA-I): The Bruins came out a little rusty after a week off but defeated Farmingdale, 45-37 on Tuesday. They then took care of Carey, 66-42 on Thursday.
4. Uniondale (12-3, 9-1 Conference AA-I): The Knights locked up the AA-I title with a 58-50 win against Hempstead on Friday. They remain behind Baldwin here based on the last head-to-head meeting, a Baldwin win.
5. Westbury (11-4, 6-2 ABC-I): Beat West Hempstead, 78-55, in only game of the week. Saturday’s game against Floral Park was rescheduled to Tuesday.
6. South Side (12-4, 7-2 ABC-I): Consider South Side ranked 5a. The Cyclones lost to Westbury by one in overtime in their last meeting. South Side beat Elmont, 55-44, and Floral Park, 60-39, last week.
7. Elmont (14-2, 7-2 Conference ABC-I): Fell to South Side and beat Hewlett, 58-55.
8. Chaminade (12-6, 5-4 CHSAA): Picked up two nice wins over St. Anthony’s and Holy Trinity. The Flyers will be a threat come playoff time.
9. Manhasset (11-4, 7-2 ABC-II): Beat Roslyn, 71-65 in double overtime and Valley Stream South, 49-47.
10. Holy Trinity (8-10, 4-5 CHSAA): Beat Kellenberg, 61-51 and lost to Chaminade.
On the bubble: Oceanside (12-3, 9-2 AA-II), Hicksville (12-4, 8-3 AA-II), Lawrence Woodmere Academy (19-1), Jericho (11-5, 5-4 ABC-II), Farmingdale (8-9, 5-7 AA-I), Hempstead (9-7, 5-6 AA-I), Malverne (10-5, 8-2 ABC-II), Friends Academy (10-6, 7-2 ABC-V)