Newsday runs a full-court press on Long Island high school boys basketball.
Nassau Top 10 teams
We’re in the thick of the playoffs and a large group of teams that were on the bubble here in past weeks have been eliminated from postseason contention. In Nassau Class AA, only Uniondale, Baldwin, Hempstead and Farmingdale are alive. In Class A, it’s Elmont, Westbury, South Side and Hewlett in the semifinals. Lutheran continues to finish out its regular season and the CHSAA playoffs get under way this week. Here’s the Top 10…
1. Long Island Lutheran (17-6): Achraf Yacoubou went over 1,000 points for his career in a 73-56 win over Chaminade and the Crusaders also beat Upper Room, 108-69. Point guard Mike Florin, a key part LuHi’s starting five, is back in the lineup after recovering from an ankle injury.
2. Baldwin (16-2): The Bruins took care of No. 10 Herricks, 54-39, in the Nassau AA quarterfinals on Thursday and extended their winning streak to 14 games. They play No. 3 Farmingdale in the semifinals at 3 p.m. Saturday at SUNY-Old Westbury.
3. Uniondale (15-3): The Knights beat No. 9 Hicksville, 57-32, in the Nassau AA quarterfinals and play No. 5 Hempstead in the semifinals at noon Saturday at SUNY-Old Westbury.
4. Chaminade (14-8): After beating St. Mary’s last Friday, Chaminade suffered defeats to St. John the Baptist and Long Island Lutheran, two quality opponents.
5. St. Mary’s (17-7): The Gaels defeated St. Anthony’s, 59-51, on Friday behind 15 points from Justin Bailey and 12 from Kaleef Chaplin.
6. Westbury (15-4): The Dragons, seeded second in the Nassau Class A playoffs, survived to win 67-65 over seventh-seeded Manhasset at Hofstra on Friday night. Sheldon Hagigal led with 24 points. They play South Side in the semifinals at 8 p.m. Friday at Hofstra.
7. South Side (15-4): The Cyclones defeated West Hempstead, 46-66 in Friday’s Nassau Class A quarterfinals at Hofstra. Leon Taylor led the way with 16 points. Up next are the semifinals against Westbury, the third time the teams will meet this season.
8. Elmont (17-2): Elmont, the top seed in the Class A postseason, struggled shooting but defeated No. 8 Jericho, 49-41 on Sunday afternoon in the quarterfinals at Hofstra. The Spartans play No. 5 Hewlett in the semifinals at 6 p.m. Friday back at Hofstra.
9. Hempstead (11-8): The Tigers upset No. 4 Valley Stream Central in the Nassau Class AA quarterfinals, 70-66, and will pay top-seeded Uniondale in the semifinals noon Saturday at SUNY-Old Westbury. Jordan Parks is back from an ankle injury that sidelined him more than a month.
10. Hewlett (9-10): Michael Eckerle had a 31-point game for the Bulldogs in a 69-59 win over Floral Park in the Class A quarterfinals on Sunday. Next up is Elmont in the semis on Friday at 6 p.m. at Hofstra.
On the bubble: Holy Trinity (10-12), Malverne (14-5), Lawrence Woodmere Academy (23-1), Farmingdale (10-8).