Newsday runs a full-court press on Long Island high school boys basketball.
Suffolk Slant: Top 10 teams
Another new No.1 team this week, after Longwood knocked off previous No. 1 and unbeaten Floyd 67-64, last Thursday. That moves Harborfields, a Class A team with the best-balanced starting five in Suffolk, into my top spot. The Tornadoes, led by Matt McLeod (left) might get a chance to test themselves against the Class AA champion because of Suffolk’s playoff system that matches the best from each class. That’s assuming Harborfields survives the Class A playoff bracket, where coach Chris Agostino might find himself matched against his brother Jack at Amityville, another top Class A team.
Unlike last season, where it was a foregone conclusion that Half Hollow Hills West and Longwood would meet in the Class AA championship game, the battle for large-school supremacy is wide open this year. We’re just about at the halfway point of the league season and I couldn’t tell you who the favorite is in Class AA: Longwood? Floyd? Hills West? West Babylon? East Islip? Copiague? Central Islip? Or will it be a sleeper team? The rest of the season should be fun.
Zog’s Top 10
1. Harborfields (8-2, 7-0 League V).
2. Longwood (10-1, 6-1 League I)
3. Floyd (10-1, 6-1 League I)
4. Half Hollow Hills West (7-3, 6-1 League IV)
5. West Babylon (10-2, 6-0 League IV)
6. Amityville (10-2, 7-0 League VI)
7. Copiague (9-2, 7-0, League III)
8. East Islip (9-2, 7-1, League III)
9. Greenport (11-0, 7-0 League VIII)
10. Central Islip (8-2, 6-1, League II)