Long Island is lacrosse country. Stay up-to-date on the latest boys lacrosse issues with insights and commentary from Newsday's high school writers.
Nassau Top 10
Manhasset holds strong at No. 1 with an impressive win over rival Cold Spring Harbor on Saturday night. The big mover of the week is undefeated Division, which has risen to No. 2 with a two-goal win against Wantagh last week.
NOTE: This week's list includes results from Monday, too.
1. Manhasset (14-0): The Indians put together a complete team performance in a 7-2 win over previously unbeaten Cold Spring Harbor on Saturday night. Goaltender Frank Morelli made 14 saves and several members of the Manhasset defense, including sophomore Rob Duvnjak, held CSH in check. Ricky Buhr had a solid game at midfield and was one of five different players to score. Beat Locust Valley, 13-4, on Monday.
2. Division (13-0): The undefeated Blue Dragons move up six spots from a No. 8 ranking last week behind a 16-14 win over Wantagh on Wednesday. Fred Mase had six goals and one assist. Division also beat Calhoun, 13-8, on Saturday.
3. Wantagh (12-2): The loss to Division was a setback, but Wantagh still holds a win over Garden City from earlier in the season. On Friday, it beat Long Beach, 11-8, despite 23 saves from Long Beach goaltender Eddie Collins.
4. Garden City (10-3): The week after losing to Manhasset in the Wood Stick Classic, the Trojans picked up wins against Long Beach, 10-6, and MacArthur, 14-2. Beat Bellmore JFK, 10-2, on Monday.
5. Chaminade (10-3): The Flyers took care of St. John the Baptist, 8-2 on Thursday then beat Fairfield Prep, 10-4 on Saturday behind three goals and one assist from Will Himler and another three goals by Matt Gillan.
6. Farmingdale (11-2): Korey Hendrickson had three goals and two assists for the Dalers in a 7-5 win over East Meadow on Friday. Farmingdale is an undefeated 8-0 in Conference I, quite an accomplishment considering the tough league competition. Farmingdale has beaten Massapequa, Hicksville, Baldwin, Syosset and Port Washington … and Wantagh in beginning of the season, too.
7. Cold Spring Harbor (13-1): The Seahawks fell to Manhasset, 7-2, in a rivalry game Saturday night. They’ll look to regroup and hope to face to Indians again in the Class C county final.
8. Massapequa (10-3): The Chiefs are now 7-1 in Conference I, including a 9-4 win over Hicksville last week. Jamie Shand had three goals and an assist and Ian Lukaszewicz added two goals and an assist, and Eric Schneider made 12 saves for Massapequa.
9. Baldwin (11-2): The Bruins beat Herricks, 15-1, and Plainview JFK, 16-5. Hosts Hicksville at 4:15 p.m. Tuesday. Baldwin is 7-2 in Conference I.
10. South Side (9-5): The Cyclones move back into the Top 10 after spending a few weeks on the bubble. They are 7-0 in Conference B-II and hold a win over Lynbrook. South Side has won its last nine games after losing the first five to start the season, though that was against a brutal early-season schedule.
On the bubble: Hicksville (10-3), Lynbrook (10-4), Friends Academy (11-2), Syosset (7-5)