Long Island is lacrosse country. Stay up-to-date on the latest boys lacrosse issues with insights and commentary from Newsday's high school writers.
Suffolk Slant: The Top 10
No major surprises as the Suffolk playoffs roll on. Among the games I think could go either way this week:
East Islip at Connetquot on Tuesday; Chaminade vs. St. Anthony’s on Thursday and Shoreham-Wading River at Hauppauge on Thursday.
Zog’s Top 10
1. West Islip (15-1). The No. 1 seed in Suffolk Class A wrapped up the regular season with a 17-13 victory over Northport on Monday. The Lions host Whitman in a quarterfinal playoff game on Tuesday at 4 p.m., where they put their 15-game winning streak on the line. The nation’s top-ranked team according to Inside Lacrosse hasn’t loss since opening day.
2. St. Anthony’s (16-2). The Friars defeated Holy Trinity, 14-8, in a first-round CHSAA playoff game on Saturday and will face Chaminade – for the third time this season – in the Catholic league title game on Thursday at C.W. Post.
3. Ward Melville (14-2). The No. 2 seed in Suffolk Class A concluded its regular season in fine fashion with 12-1 victory over Sachem North on Monday. Will host Smithtown East in a quarterfinal on Tuesday at 4 p.m.
4. Smithtown West (12-4). Beat Smithtown East, 7-6, in its regular-season finale last Monday and hosts Sachem North at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday in a Class A quarterfinal game.
5. Connetquot (13-3): Earned the No. 4 seed in Class A by edging East Islip, 13-12, in their regular-season finale on Monday. The teams will meet again in a quarterfinal game on Tuesday at 5 p.m.
6. Comsewogue (14-1). The top seed in Suffolk Class B defeated Islip, 9-6, on Saturday in its first playoff game. Will host Rocky Point in a semifinal game on Thursday at 4 p.m.
7. East Islip (12-4). Walloped Bay Shore, 19-9 in Thursday’s Class A playoff opener and earned a rematch at Connetquot on Thursday at 5 p.m.
8. Hauppauge (15-1). Edged Sayville, 6-5, in a first-round playoff game on Saturday and will host Shoreham-Wading River on Thursday at 4 p.m. in a Class B semifinal.
9. Shoreham-Wading River (11-5). Looked impressive in beating East Hampton/Bridgehampton, 19-10, on Saturday and visits Hauppauge for what should be an exciting Class B semifinal matchup.
10. Sachem North (10-6). The Flaming Arrows outlasted Northport, 13-11, in its playoff opener on Thursday and visits Smithtown West for a Class A quarterfinal game on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m.