Newsday.com brings you in-depth coverage of Long Island high school field hockey.
Suffolk Top 10 (10.16.11)
1. Sachem East (11-0): Show and prove. The Arrows showed early in the season what they can do, and they've since proven that they're for real. Last week's wins over East Islip and Ward Melville have essentially solidified their status.
2. Sayville (12-0): The Golden Flashes went 3-0 last week, including pulling out another late-game thriller in Wednesday's 3-2 win over Bay Shore. Add to it, Olivia Cabral is heating up. The midfielder now has 21 points, good for second most in Long Island.
3. Ward Melville (9-3): The Patriots had their seven-game win streak snapped with a 4-0 loss to Sachem East. The streak had started after a 4-0 loss to the Flaming Arrows on Sept. 20.
4. Smithtown East (9-2): That ol' Bulls defense is back at it, allowing 0.45 goals per game. And Meg Rooney is tied for the LI lead with 22 points. They've won three straight since a 1-0 loss to Ward Melville.
5. Shoreham-Wading River (9-2): The Wildcats lost their first Division III game on Friday, falling to 1-0 to Comsewogue. Still, they're the class of Suffolk Class B.
6. East Islip (10-2): The Redmen losses were 3-2 to Sayville and 1-0 to Sachem East. 'Nuff said. They edged Lindenhurst in penalty strokes last week.
7. Rocky Point (6-1): They bounced back from a 1-0 loss to Harborfields with a 3-2 win over Miller Place.
8. Northport (5-5): After a 3-1 win over Half Hollow Hills West, the Tigers were downed again in a close loss to a great team - 2-0 against Smithtown East. Northport is better than its record indicates, but they've got to improve.
9. Miller Place (6-5): The Panthers have dropped two of their last three, though the losses were 1-0 to SWR and 3-2 to Rocky Point.
10. Bay Shore (7-4): They lost a tough one to Sayville (3-2 with the winning goal scored with 3:24 left), but rebound with a dominant performance against West Babylon.