High School Girls Lacrosse
Get the scoop on the Long Island girls lacrosse scene from Newsday
1. Farmingdale (14-1) The Dalers dropped their first game of the season to Manhasset, 12-6, on Monday. Perhaps fatigue was a factor, as it was their fourth game in six days and the six goals were about a third of Farmingdale's season average. Nevertheless, the win was more a credit to Manhasset than an indictment of the Dalers, so they'll continue to hold the top spot. Farmingdale also rebound with...Read more »
There was a time, way back in the beginning of the season, when people looked at West Babylon and they saw two things:
1. Christina Esposito, doing a whole lot of the scoring.
2. That 0-3 record.
Let's just say that things have changed. Oh, Esposito is still doing her thing, but West Babylon, which didn't even make the postseason last year, not only turned things around, it turned...Read more »
Say, Manhasset, how you doin’?
Coming off Monday’s huge win over Farmingdale, it had to be wondered: How much momentum do they take from this? And how far does that momentum go?” The answer: far enough. The Indians capped their regular season on Wednesday with an impressive 13-9 win over rival Garden City – their first since 2009.
Julia Glynn scored five goals and Halle Majorana had...Read more »
A lane opened up…
So, out the window went the initial strategy to stall on offense and hold for a last-second shot. Jillian Lee found room to maneuver from atop the circle, and, clock be damned, she wasn’t passing up the opportunity.
She worked her way to the right, slipped through the defense, and scored the winner from close range with 1:28 remaining as Cold Spring Harbor edged North...Read more »
Farmingdale was a gracious (and victorious) host for Saturday’s Long Island Challenge. The event featured four games, Suffolk vs. Nassau, with Farmingdale’s 8:30 p.m. matchup with Eastport-South Manor being the nightcap.
The event went smoothly (‘least as far as I know) and it was a festive atmosphere. Props to Barbara Brescia (Samantha’s mother) and Laurie Kolodny (Kim’s mother), who helped...Read more »
Dropped by a Long Island Lutheran girls lacrosse practice last week for a story that ran in Sunday’s paper (if you haven’t read it, please do). They were a fun group and there were a lot of things I wanted to include and/or detail, but with limited space in the newspaper - y'all know how that goes. So, what we’ve got here is the return of Extras. Leftover notes and quotes for the consumption of...Read more »
We're almost there, folks. Most teams have two games left in the regular season before it's time to duke it out for best of the best and my precious, precious rankings will be moot. I'll be honest: it tends to get a little more arbitrary the farther down you go on the list, only because it's a mess of who's beaten who (Team A beat Team B, Team C beat Team A, but Team B beat Team C...In other words,...Read more »
1. St. Anthony's (12-1) Nothing unexpected here. The Friars beat league opponents Our Lady of Mercy and Kellenberg last week. Chrissy Schreiber and Annie Heagerty each had five goals and two assists in a win over the Firebirds. St. Anthony's is ranked third in the country by LaxPower and has outscored its opponents 184-70.
2. Sacred Heart (14-1) Similar week for the Spartans, who beat Kellenberg...Read more »
Shake-up at the top!!!!!!! (extra exclamation points for drama). Read on...
1. Farmingdale (12-0) And they've reached the top. Farmingdale takes over as Nassau's #1 after beating Garden City, 13-12, in a comeback last week, and solidifying it with dominant wins over Port Washington and Eastport-South Manor. The Dalers are ranked 10th in the country by LaxPower.
2. Garden City (10-4)...Read more »
It was all on the table for Farmingdale – with one win, the opportunity to prove exactly what this 2012 group is capable of; to make itself a large blip on the national radar; to muzzle the mouths of any doubters – and the Dalers cleaned up.
Cassie Perettine scored the winner with 1:41 left as Farmingdale edged Garden City, 13-12, on Tuesday in a highly-anticipated non-league matchup.
With...Read more »