Newsday.com covers the beautiful game on Long Island with our high school girls soccer blog.
Nassau girls soccer: Top 2011 postseason moments #10-6
Honorable Menton: Carle Place goalkeeper Nicole Veigas made a diving save to her left to seal the win for No.1 Carle Place over No. 4 Oyster Bay, 1-1 (3-2 in PKs), in the Nassau Class B semifinals. Amanda Machado tied the game at 1 for Carle Place with 37 minutes left in the second half off a cross from Alicia Jiminez.
10. Viking Quest: Kenzie Cohen scored just her second goal of the season with 7:00 left in the first overtime to lead No. 4 North Shore to a comeback victory over No. 13 Jericho, 4-3 (OT2), in the first round of the Nassau Class A Playoffs.
9. Romano leads Sysosset comeback: After tying up the score at 1 with 15:20 left in regulation, Gianna Romano scored the game-winning goal 30 seconds into the second overtime to send No. 11 Syosset to an upset over No. 6 East Meadow in the first round of the Nassau Class AA playoffs.
8. Akalski ignites Firebirds: Christina Akalski scored two goal, including the game-winner on a header off a pass from Amanda Barocca with eight minutes remaining to lead No. 1 Kellenberg over No. 4 St. John the Baptist, 3-2, in the CHSAA semifinals.
7. Iordanou breaks free: Krystina Iordanou (above) was able to catch the Keshequa defense off guard and ran more than 40 yards up field on a breakaway in the 64th minute, scoring the game-winning goal for Friends Academy in its 3-2 win over Keshequa in the Class C state semifinals at SUNY-Cortland.
6. First state titles for MacArthur and Friends Academy: MacArthur and Friends Academy each won their first state championships. Jill Mulholland scored the lone goal in MacArthur's 1-0 win over Arlington in the Class AA title game. The Generals end the year ranked No. 9 nationally by the NSCAA.
Friends Academy dominated Class C competition across the state. The Quakers won 6-0 over Stony Brook in the LIC, 2-0 over S.S. Seward in the SE Regional final, an extremely lop-sided 3-2 win over Keshequa in the state semis and controlled Hoosick Falls from start to finish in the state final, which ended in a 0-0 tie.
Coming Wednesday: The Top Five postseason moments in Nassau girls soccer.