High School Girls Soccer
Newsday.com covers the beautiful game on Long Island with our high school girls soccer blog.
Long Island Player of the Year: Cari Roccaro, East Islip, Sr., Center Midfielder
The resume continues to grow for the Notre Dame-bound Roccaro, who was named Newsday’s girls soccer Player of the Year.
“I think it’s awesome that people are recognizing my hard work,” Roccaro said. “But I can’t stop working.”
With her hard work and the perfect combination of size, speed and skill,...Read more »
We'll be unveiling members of the 2011 All-Long Island team each day this week with the full list appearing in Sunday's paper. Today's installment includes West Hempstead's Olivia Czavar, Northport's Rosy Hayes and MacArthur's Jenny Scro.
Olivia Czavar, West Hempstead, Sr., Forward
Czavar led Nassau Class A in goals (13) during the regular season and was named state Class A Player of...Read more »
5. Gandolfo, Calhoun down the Dalers: Kristina Gandolfo put on a show in the Class AA quarterfinals against top-seeded Farmingdale. The county’s leading scorer blew past the Dalers defense for her first goal and beat a defender to a 50-50 ball to score the game-winner 1:13 into the first overtime for Calhoun to pull off the upset..
4. Holy Foley: The Calhoun offense was hand-cuffed all game...Read more »
Honorable Menton: Carle Place goalkeeper Nicole Veigas made a diving save to her left to seal the win for No.1 Carle Place over No. 4 Oyster Bay, 1-1 (3-2 in PKs), in the Nassau Class B semifinals. Amanda Machado tied the game at 1 for Carle Place with 37 minutes left in the second half off a cross from Alicia Jiminez.
10. Viking Quest: Kenzie Cohen scored just her second goal of the...Read more »
MacArthur and Calhoun will square off in the Nassau Class AA final Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Denton Ave. Park. Neither team has ever won a county title.
MacArthur is led by Jill Mulholland up top, Kelly Kempf in the midfield and a very strong back four who keeps the opposition from challenging Jenna Cozza in between the pipes. The Generals' only losses this season came to Conference AA-I champion...Read more »
The semirfinals of the Nassau Class AA playoffs are Friday with two games at Denton Ave. Park The official bracket can be found here.
No. 4 Mepham (7-6-2) vs. No. 9 Calhoun (15-0-2) Friday 6:30 p.m. at Denton Ave. Park Head-to-head Record: Winner advances to play winner of No. 2 MacArthur vs. No. 3 Massapequa in the finals at Denton Ave. Wednesday time TBA
Mepham: defeated No. 5 Oceanside,...Read more »
The quarterfinals of the Nassau Class AA playoffs are Monday and Tuesday with two games each day. The official bracket can be found here. One matchup has yet to be determined as Mepham awaits the winner of Oceanside and Great Neck South, who had to reschedule their game Saturday due to inclement weather.
Below is a preview of each quarterfinal matchup with basic statistical information for...Read more »
GIRLS SOCCER BIG 10 (Based on games played between Oct. 17 and 23)
1. Sayville (14-0): The defending county champs went 3-0 last week to remain the only team in Suffolk with a perfect record at 14-0. They outscored opponents 19-0, increasing the season total to 66-5, behind multi-goal games from Madison Hoon, Kim Marra and Amanda Famularo. The Samantha Bishop-led defense helped keeper...Read more »
St. Anthony's holds on to the top spot this week as the rest of the rankings get a shake up. Farmingdale, Sayvile, Northport and MacArthur bump up while West Islip slides down after falling to Northport.
1. St. Anthony's (8-0-4): Facing their toughest CHSAA opponent in Sacred Heart, the Friars emerged with a 4-1 win behind goals from Genevieve Crescenzo, Jessica Lucas, Reanna Marino and Margo...Read more »
St. Anthony's remains atop this week's Top 10 following a 3-0 week. West Islip, Sayville and Northport are battling for tops in Suffolk with the Lions and Tigers facing off on Tuesday. In Nassau, Farmingdale and Division have cemented themselves atop Class AA and A respectively while MacArthur is doing well and Massapequa is struggling.
Normal0falsefalsefalseMicrosoftInternetExplorer41. St....Read more »