Latest news and conversation around the news from Westchester, Rockland and the Hudson Valley.
BloggersSarah Armaghan Nik Bonopartis John Dyer Meghan E. Murphy Timothy O'Connor Matt Sartwell Kenneth Schachter Jillian Sederholm Christian Wade Thomas Zambito Ryan Chatelain Mae Cheng Karl de Vries Nirmal Mitra
St. Paddy's revelry, moms on skates: Top 5 for Friday, March 15
1) Watch some local moms behave like NFL linemen! The first-ever Westchester County Suburbia Roller Derby match is slated for Saturday in Yonkers. Check out Newsday's video profile of the skaters, and grab your tickets early through the team's website. You can even knock back beers in double time -- VIP ticket holders get "skatetress service" during the inaugural match.
2) Need a job and don't mind the sound of thousands of slot machines making electronic bleeps and blips in cacophony? Check out Friday's job fair at 10 a.m. at the Riverfront Library in Yonkers. Empire City Casino is expanding, and more than 100 positions are available.
3) The St. Patrick's Day revelry begins early. This year, St. Patrick's Day falls on a Sunday, and some locals are taking the opportunity to turn it into an entire weekend event. On Friday, Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano will "paint the line" -- a green line running along South Broadway -- in a noon ceremony ahead of Sunday's parade in Yonkers; Dudley's Parkview Restaurant in New Rochelle will host the annual WVOX St. Patrick's Day broadcast starting at 5 p.m.; and Irish pubs across the Hudson Valley are kicking things off early with Friday night specials and theme parties. Want an alcohol-free alternative? Stop by the Nyack Village Theater Friday night for Irish poetry and songs.
4) Learn more about the Tappan Zee Bwidge with Babwa Walters Friday night when TV newsmagazine "20/20" airs a segment on the span and its replacement. Oh, wait. Walters doesn't host "20/20" anymore? Then you have our blessing to DVR it while you head to a White Plains bar for early St. Patrick's Day festivities.
5) March is Red Cross Month, and it's your chance to thank the local Red Cross by donating blood Friday at 10 a.m. at 295 Knollwood Rd. in White Plains. Aside from maintaining blood banks, the local Red Cross takes care of fire victims and is integral to helping people through natural disasters, like last year's superstorm Sandy.
Tags: Red Cross , blood drive , Red Cross Month , blood bank , roller derby , suburbia , Suburbia's All Stars , Tappan Zee Bridge , 20/20 , ABC , Barbara Walters , Empire City Casino , slot machines , job fair , Yonkers , Mike Spano , St. Patrick's Day , WVOX , Irish pubs , Irish poetry