1. MIDDLE COUNTRY GIRLS LACROSSE Middle Country is rolling through the season’s opening weeks, outscoring opponents, 72-28. Jamie Ortega leads the team with 23 goals and 12 assists, while Ava Barry has chipped in 12 goals and five assists and Amanda Masullo has contributed 11 goals and seven assists.
2. HUNTINGTON BOYS TRACK The Blue Devils haven’t missed a beat after their dominant indoor season. They hold six top state marks. Kyree Johnson has the top 200 (22.28) meter time. Lawrence Leake has the best 400 (50.16) meter time. Shane McGuire is the fastest in the 1,600 meters (4:33.32) and Exzayvian Crowell is the fastest 110 meter hurdler (15.49). Infinite Tucker owns the best 300 meter hurdle time (37.16).
Latest HS sports stories
3. EASTPORT-SOUTH MANOR SOFTBALL Jenna Kreiling went 2-for-4 with two runs scored as the Sharks defeated West Babylon, 10-1, to improve to 6-0. The defending Long Island champions remain very strong up the middle with Kailah Konkel at short, Brianna Williams at second and Daniela Detore in center.
4. ST. ANTHONY’S GIRLS TRACK The Friars had the top mark in the state in seven categories, entering Saturday. Halle Hazzard had the top 100 (11.72) and 200 (24.28) meter time. Alyssa Yeboah-Kodie owns the top 100 meter hurdle time (14.91), Samantha Stetz has the top triple jump
5. ST. ANTHONY’S BOYS TRACK Kwesi Thomas-Henderson has the top 100-meter time in the state, running an 11.11 at the Colonial Relays last weekend. The Friars 4 x 800 meter relay team ran a 7:54.97 at the same meet, the fastest time in the state, according to milesplit.com.
6. ST. ANTHONY’S BOYS LACROSSE The Friars defeated Chaminade, 5-4, in yet another thriller in this great rivalry. Thomas Heagerty scored the go-ahead goal in the third quarter and Ryan Rogers made it 5-3. Tom Lingner neutralized the potent Flyers’ attack with 16 saves.
7. SMITHTOWN EAST BOYS LACROSSE The Bulls are averaging more than 15 goals per game after an 18-7 victory over Bay Shore in tough Suffolk I. Dan Rooney (22 goals) and Connor Desimone (17 assists) lead the offense and Gerard Arceri gets it all started with his faceoff supremacy.
8. SYOSSET GIRLS GOLF The two-time defending Long Island team champions Malini Rudra shot a 4-over 40 and Sarah Sung shot a 41 on the back nine at Bethpage Yellow in Syosset’s season opening victory over Plainview JFK.
9. WANTAGH BASEBALL Righthander Jimmy Joyce has 23 strikeouts in two starts and the Generals are off to a 6-0 start in Nassau Class AA.
10. BAYPORT-BLUE POINT GIRLS LACROSSE Having handed Shoreham-Wading River and Rocky Point their only losses of the season, the Phantoms are making waves in Suffolk. Kerrigan Miller’s 14 goals and six assists lead the way, while Courtney Weeks has added 10 goals and six assists.
On the cusp: Chaminade baseball and Wantagh baseball.